Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 25th, 2019 04:00

XPS 630, changed HDD, chassis lights, fans not working

Hi

The hard drive on my XPS 630 died and I replaced it and did a fresh Windows 10 install

The chassis lights and fans are not working anymore

I installed Nvidia Performance but no chassis options were

I've tried every bit of software to no avail

I look inside the chassis and all the connectors seen fine

Any advice would be gratefully recieved

Is it safe to run the 630 without the front fans....I'm only using it for basic stuff not gaming

Many thanks

Tony

3 Posts

August 25th, 2019 10:00

Apologies all,

I thought I had connected but failed to see the power connector on the Master I/O board!!!

All is well again.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

August 25th, 2019 06:00

The problem may be that Dell does not have drivers that support Windows 10. The Dell support site only has drivers and utilities for Windows XP, 7, and Vista. I assume the system originally came with Windows 7 or Vista and you upgraded to Windows 10. Now with a fresh install of Windows 10 the usual procedure is to install Dell drivers and utilities, but there are none for Windows 10. Also the XPS 630i is not on the list of computers Dell has tested for Windows 10.

For example, you indicate that the chassis lights are not working. If, by chassis lights, you mean the front panel and the back panel LEDs, the owner's manual states that the color of the LEDs can be adjusted using Windows Nvidia ESA light affects software. I don't know where you can find this software, I did not see it on the Dell support site. Although this may be unusual, in order for the fans to work properly, a chipset driver may need to be installed.

Perhaps a better starting point would be if you have or could obtain a factory image restore of your system.

3 Posts

August 25th, 2019 10:00

Thanks for your reply

I already had Windows 10 on this PC and it was fine

I have the ESA software but there is no Chassis option for adjustment

No Events found!