Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

January 13th, 2018 14:00

XPS 8300 4 rapid beeps

I put the Dell XPS 8300 (circa 2012) to sleep and left it for a few days. When I returned, the CPU and case fans were spinning up, then immediately turning off, then spinning again. 

After reading several posts here and elsewhere, I removed all internal components, replacing one by one. I tested the power switch. Nope.

I then replaced the power supply with a newer one (600w vs. 450) - same symptom. 

Next, I replaced the motherboard and - viola! The system purrs and is making those sweet spin-up noises, but there are 4 fast beeps and a flashing amber power switch. There is no display on the monitor - I've tried using both internal video and external video card. 

Research shows that 4 beeps means a RAM issue. I removed and replaced 4 sticks, one by one. No. Next , I tested the modules in an almost identical computer - they all work fine.

I also replaced the CMOS battery.

One poster wrote that he forgot to install the offsets when he **bleep** in the motherboard, causing a short. I was certain that the offsets are built into this case, but I removed the MB just to double - check. They are, and there were no stray screws anywhere.

What is left? Could it be the CPU? Seems unlikely to me as the original symptom went away with the new MB. What am I missing?

I'd sure appreciate any advice that may be offered! 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 14th, 2018 08:00

Have you tried one memory module in each of the 4 memory slots? or just one slot?  I had a PC (not an 8300) in for repair with a memory problem and two out of the four slots were bad.

As the replacement motherboard is, apparently, used it could be defective.  The symptoms changed with the replacement motherboard but I would suspect the replacement.  If you bought it with a warranty I would contact the seller.  

2 Posts

January 14th, 2018 11:00

Thank you for the suggestions, Fireberd. 

I did try the RAM in each slot, transferring one to another. 

I bought the motherboard from a reputable ebay seller - sold as new. I believe that is new and not defective. Still, I could be wrong, I suppose.

thanks!

24 Posts

February 1st, 2018 07:00

Hi there buddy. Did you find out what the problem was?
Im also experiencing the same issue.
No Events found!