Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

April 12th, 2018 07:00

XPS 8300 Keeps freezing, have to hard reset

My computer has froze three time today where the only way out is to hard reset. 

Ive ran diagnostics in the bios menu and it detected no hardware problems.

In the event viewer i found three errors that occoured during the crashes: Schannel 36887.

Im using windows 7 and have a gtx 1050ti.

If you need more info please let me know

• 

16.7K Posts

April 12th, 2018 08:00

Jay4726,

This error message indicates the computer received an SSL fatal alert message from the server ( It is not a bug in the Schannel or the application that uses Schannel). Sometimes is caused by the installation of third party web browser (other than Internet Explorer).

Click the link below for information on the Schannel 36887

MS14-066: Vulnerability in SChannel could allow remote code execution: November 11, 2014

2 Posts

April 13th, 2018 00:00

I just had another freeze and in the event viewer there was nothing about Schannel. 

There was event 41, Kernel power at 2:48:01 and an unexpected shutdown at 2:48:09 which might have been me hard resetting but no info on why the freeze happened in the first place.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 13th, 2018 15:00

Look for "red marked" errors in Reliability Monitor report.

There should be zero, so any listed needs attention.

Lockups without an error here (or BSOD or crash-report) is 90% of the time a hardware problem. ePSA is good but not 100% telling.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 13th, 2018 15:00

Random freezes can be hard to figure out, especially to know if they're hardware or software...

• Are you always doing the same thing when a freeze occurs, eg using a particular app, searching the net, watching a vid, have apps open and running in multiple windows...?
  • Are you always using the same peripheral when a freeze occurs, eg printing something, scanning, writing to a USB drive...?
  • Any signs/symptoms of overheating?
  • Are you using Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection?
  • When was last time you replaced motherboard battery?
  • Are you using a power strip, surge protector or uninterruptable power supply?

You can start with hardware:

1. Reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup
  2. Copy down all current settings, to be safe
  3. Power off, unplug
  4. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  5. Open case and carefully reseat RAM modules and PCI-e cards in their slots
  6. Reseat all cable connections to motherboard and drives, etc
  7. Check that all fans turn freely
  8. Use canned air to clean out dust bunnies
  9. Close up and connect only mouse, monitor and keyboard
  10. Reboot and immediately press F12. Look for option to run diagnostics, including RAM and extended hard drive tests. This may take a while depending on amount of RAM and size of hard drive. Copy error messages - if any

You'll probably have to use the PC for a while afterwards to see if the freezing has been fixed, but back up your personal files on external media ASAP, and save open files regularly while you're working so you don't lose data if the PC suddenly freezes again.  

July 15th, 2019 08:00

Diagnostics froze during ram tests before reaching thorough test opportunities.

My 8300 runs the latest windows 10 home and I took out the 4 ram sticks. I put only 2 of the larger size ones in the white connector slots only. So far no lock up. (fingers crossed)

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 15th, 2019 10:00

@G and O Electronics If it doesn't freeze with just the 2 larger modules in the white slots, swap in the other two into those white slots.

If it freezes now, that suggests one of the smaller RAM modules failed. If no freezes, put the larger 2 modules into  the black slots, leaving the smaller pair in the white slots. If it starts freezing  again, that suggests a motherboard problem...

No Events found!