Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 13th, 2020 07:00

XPS 8300, looking to upgrade GPU, anyway to use Turing or limited to Pascal?

I know this has been asked before, but not in awhile, maybe someone has new information since the price of a GTX1050ti is currently about the same as a GTX1650 would prefer to use it if possible. Thanks!

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 14th, 2020 02:00

1050 TI for more than 150 or so is scalping.

None of the Turing will work.

Up to and including 1080TI will work if it physically fits in the case.

bigger cards work with an upgraded power supply thats not horrible

EVGA 700BR

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GeForce-GTX-1050-TI/dp/B01MA62JSZ/

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=evga+700BR&_dyncharset=UTF-8&_dynSessConf=&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=&sp=&qp=&list=n&af=true&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&keys=keys

Better upgrade would be VOSTRO 470 which with upgraded bios works fine with Turing aka 1650

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Vostro-470-Tower-Bit-Multi-Language/dp/B08LPR444M/

• 

25.1K Posts

November 14th, 2020 01:00

We tried reaching you on a private message asking for the Service Tag but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

23 Posts

November 14th, 2020 07:00

Yes, I understand. But while reading thru the threads I found a post claiming to have found a way to run a GTX 1650 Super on XPS 8300. Since price between GTX 1050ti and 1650 Super are so close now, would prefer to use the latter if possible. What do you think of this method?‎

09-19-2020 08:31 PM
Re: XPS 8300, GTX 1650 not working

I have an XPS 8300 and a GeForce GTX 1650 Super that I just got working before writing this. I used the GeForce Experience and the Nvidia website to download all my drivers and updates

Step 1: Download all relevant drivers for new GPU

Step 2: Reboot into your BIOS and make sure your integrated graphics option is set to AUTO. Save and reboot

Step 3: Power everything off, unplug the power cable and hold the power button until all LED's are gone. Unplug everything and remove old GPU.

Step 4: Install new GPU, and hook up the VGA cable from your computer to your monitor.

Step 5: Using integrated graphics (If a black screen pops up saying something about graphics and rebooting, you haven't set your BIOS correctly. Repeat step 2 and come back. This can be done with the new GPU installed, so no worries) load in to your computer and it should automatically download any and all updates and drivers for the new GPU. If not, go download them.

Step 6: Once all installations are complete, reboot your system. You should now be free to use the new GPU  instead of the integrated graphics. Feel free to go back in to BIOS and disable your integrated graphics option, but you shouldn't have to as long as your monitor is on the same input setting as your GPU.

November 14th, 2020 09:00

I went for the GTX 1050ti and quite happy with it. Several other forums have people who tried the 1650 and because of the legacy bios it didn't work. The only person apart from the one you listed who "seem" to get it to work needed two monitors plugged in! Too much hassle and is it really working?   

23 Posts

November 14th, 2020 11:00

1050ti would suffice, just stings to overpay for it as much as a 1650 costs. And while another poster said they had to keep 2 monitors plugged in; I took it that the poster I referenced only used the integrated vga during initial setup; but then could just use the 1650 without the vga anymore unless I'm mistaken. And there are some benchmarks showing people using 1650/1660 with XPS8300, so dunno?

No Events found!