Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

10 Posts

October 29th, 2018 19:00

XPS 8300, new monitor options

I want to get a new monitor for my XPS 8300 i7, Windows 10 (latest release), Dell's AMD Radeon HD6450 graphics card, 12gb RAM, 500GB SSD primary plus two hard drives for storage. 

Right now I have the Dell U2412M monitor running on Dell's version of the AMD HD6450 graphics card. Card has DVI and HDMI but doesn't have DisplayPort. Don't think it has much memory.

I'd like to upgrade the monitor to a 27" high color accuracy monitor. My use is mainly for photography - Photoshop and Lightroom. I don't create videos or play games. 

Can the XPS 8300 run a 4k monitor? 

If so, will the Dell U2718Q work with my existing setup? 

If not, what other monitors would work?

Is a graphics card update worthwhile? If so, what will work with this XPS and a good monitor?

Thanks for any help with this.

EdB

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 29th, 2018 22:00

@ejbsfo wrote:

1. I want to get a new monitor for my XPS 8300 i7, Windows 10 (latest release), Dell's AMD Radeon HD6450 graphics card, 12gb RAM, 500GB SSD primary plus two hard drives for storage. 

Right now I have the Dell U2412M monitor running on Dell's version of the AMD HD6450 graphics card. Card has DVI and HDMI but doesn't have DisplayPort. Don't think it has much memory.

2. I'd like to upgrade the monitor to a 27" high color accuracy monitor. My use is mainly for photography - Photoshop and Lightroom. I don't create videos or play games. 

3. Can the XPS 8300 run a 4k monitor? 

4. If so, will the Dell u2718Q work with my existing setup? 

1. Nice config (for an older machine). Try not to invest much more money into the XPS-8300 itself. Start saving that money for the next one.

2. So, buy a monitor that you can use on your next machine also.

3. I don't see why not (if the video card can). I tried a bunch of cards in mine. The XFX AMD-7750 was the best and it has a DisplayPort. It is DirectX-12, and has drivers for Windows-10 (barely).

https://www.dell.com/community/Vostro-Desktops/Vostro-460-XPS-8300-Upgrade-Adventures/m-p/6071783/highlight/true#M1312

4. Yes, that Dell Ultra-Sharp u2718q 4K monitor is the monitor you want. It's the new 4K version of my u2717D . Personally, I needed 1440p because I do gaming on my Aurora-R6. It looks real nice for everything (including photo work).

10 Posts

October 30th, 2018 13:00

Thanks for the reply, Tesla ( I've heard that name somewhere...  :)

Sounds like the XPS 8300 can handle a 4k monitor.

Doing some checking, I see that the U2718Q monitor doesn't have a DVI port. My Radeon graphics card doesn't have a Display Port, so I'd need to upgrade the card to make the connect. Research on Photoshop suggests that it isn't the power of the graphics card as much as the CPU that is important. 

Would something like the Radeon RX 560 be enough for my needs? Any other inexpensive suggestions?

10 Posts

November 1st, 2018 20:00

Well, I tried upgrading the GPU, and no luck with that either. Doing more searching through threads on this board, it seems that Dell "forgot" to release the BIOS update from A06 to A07 about 4 years ago! and I'm not the only one who can't upgrade to a newer GPU. 

Way to go, Dell. You do know I'd be handing you more $$$ for the new monitor?

Does anybody know any other possible way to upgrade the GPU and monitor on an XPS8300?

Thanks.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 1st, 2018 21:00

@ejbsfo wrote:

1. Well, I tried upgrading the GPU, and no luck with that either.

2. Doing more searching through threads on this board, it seems that Dell "forgot" to release the BIOS update from A06 to A07 about 4 years ago! 

3. and I'm not the only one who can't upgrade to a newer GPU. Does anybody know any other possible way to upgrade the GPU and monitor on an XPS8300?

4. Way to go, Dell. You do know I'd be handing you more $$$ for the new monitor?

1. What card?

2. No not really. It's just a basic (Legacy-BIOS) system ... right before UEFI and USB-3. Dell can't always design systems to work with parts (ie, video cards) that will be created 5-years in the future.

3. That's why I pointed you to the link of the cards I tried that worked. Others likely posted about other working cards.

4. Not Dell. If anyone dropped the ball it's AMD. If you are running just Photoshop and Lightroom, not sure what the fascination is with AMD. They had real trouble designing GPU's and/or Reference-Design cards that ran on both Legacy and UEFI systems. Only ones I heard about that did both had a manual dip-switch on them.

10 Posts

November 2nd, 2018 10:00

I looked for the card you suggested but it's no longer available, so I got an AMD Radion RX 550. Fits fine, fan works on startup, but no signal to the monitor. This isn't the first older machine I've tried to upgrade and been stymied by legacy issues.

So, no more trying to upgrade the monitor, I'll just deal with what I have. A pity really, the computer works fine, has no problem with the latest vagaries of Windows 10, runs two extra large HDs plus the SSD. I really have no reason to get a new one other than this.

Thanks for your help, Tesla1856.

Ed

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 2nd, 2018 10:00

@ejbsfo wrote:

1. So, no more trying to upgrade the monitor, I'll just deal with what I have.

2. A pity really, the computer works fine, has no problem with the latest vagaries of Windows 10, runs two extra large HDs plus the SSD.

3. I really have no reason to get a new one other than this.

Thanks for your help, Tesla1856.

Ed

1. As you wish.

2. Agreed. As you saw, I'm still using mine as a 1080p HTPC/Kodi/Gaming box.

3. That's often how it works ... one "major new feature" drives the purchase.

You're welcome, glad to help.

No Events found!