Highlighted
Bill2020
1 Copper

XPS 8300, starts for a few seconds then shuts for a few seconds

I spent a lot of money on this computer years ago. I bought it brand new directly from Dell. Right after the warranty ended it would no longer boot up. I press the power button and it starts for a few seconds but then shuts down for a few seconds and then starts up again and shuts down again repeating this vicious cycle over and over. The green light is lit at the back of the power supply. I removed the CMOS battery but no change. I tried a different power cord, no change. I removed and rearranged the ram, no change. What on earth could be causing this? Help with resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
50 Replies
savvy2
4 Beryllium

Re: XPS 8300, starts for a few seconds then shuts for a few seconds

that 8300 is not new at all it is 10 years old. (the coin cell needs to be new , not removed, but replaced at 7 year mark if wise) or below 2.9vdc on any meter used (volts)

sorry but old PCs do fail, Lots, in fact all PCs do and all brands do , just like all old cars do and any brand.

first off we need more symptoms.  ( and yes there are many power problems possible "CAUSES")

does it run with all USB device unplugged (ALL) {after all , all things can short out}

no monitor stated, so no idea at all what is there, nor how connected if said PC has PCI-express Video GPU card present? and must be use if present, is it? DOES THE Monitor work on 2nd good PC>?

the first thing for me is sounds, do the fans spin, any? (some must) the CPU fan must spin, felt heard or seen.?

the power button has LED lamp is it dead, white, orange or flashing (front of PC not rear)?

does the screen even put up any thing at all.?  a working screen (monitor) all warn you that the inputs are dead.

GOT BIOS screens working first the F2 Key is that, power on hammer f12, BIOS bingo.

(no signal, no sync, no connections, or out of range, all do, does yours"?) this means the PC video lines are dead if it does, no signal..'

is the video cable plugged in right.? to the correct jack,  (PCI GPU if there, or to main chassis video jack.

got beep codes?

got LED error codes?

we can test the PSU on a bench ( a bench test, basic or even full load tests in pro shop)

we can strip the PC down

is the monitor at #1 Hdmi or #2 at VGA,or  at the PCI GPU slot ports (endless cards exit, vast)

8300.JPG

see sold this pc with optional GPU cards, quoting your manual.(dell options only , vast exists 3rd party)

NVIDIA GT 420/ GTX 460AMD HD 5450/ HD 5670/HD 5770/ HD 5870

if all else fails do the strip down test, this finds parts shorted

see the 14 steps here, I bet you missed some , no?

step 1 is first.  the long power reset test.  do that on all PCs that fail ,all makers and brands.

billions of transistors inside if the wrong one shorts or CAPS do, PC goes dead.

I am not Dell, I am retired from this industry since 2009,
0 Kudos
Bill2020
1 Copper

Thanks for your reply. This happened less than 1 year of use. It's been sitting collecting dust ever since. It was manufactured in July of 2011. It worked fine and then all of a sudden this not powering up issue started happening. I did nothing to the computer. Right now I have nothing in the USB slots, no monitor hooked up. There is a solid amber light on the motherboard and on the power button when it's starting up for 3 seconds at a time. There is a green light on the back of the power supply. Both fans turn on and off as the computer starts and shuts down over and over. I get no beeps. The original PCI video card is installed. I removed it and put it back in but no change. Same with the RAM. I tried the power reset. Cleared the CMOS. No change. Everything is original to when I bought it. I did a Google search and someone else with a Dell computer had the exact same issue but that link no longer works. I have no idea if that person found out what caused the issue.

0 Kudos
RuskinF
2 Bronze

You have probably singled out and ticked off most of the problems. There may be one thing you may have not tried. That is, have you checked the ceiling limit of the CPU temperature that the BIOS allows before shutting off the PC? If tinkering has been done with the BIOS then you'd have to resolve it.

0 Kudos
Bill2020
1 Copper

I do not know how to check the ceiling limit of the CPU temperature. I did not change anything in the BIOS. My computer just decided to go on strike and frustrate me for no good reason. Should I try resetting the BIOS via the jumpers? I have a Dell Dimension 3000 that hasn't been used for years. I'm wondering if I can put the hard drive of the XPS 8300 in that computer so I can see what is on the hard drive. Would that work?

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

It's not going to boot without a monitor attached. And if you have an add-in video card, the onboard video ports are disabled so the monitor has to be connected to the add-in video card.

Are you saying the power button on front of PC comes on and then goes off? That could mean an ailing power supply. The green LED on back just means there's power to the PC, not that the power supply is actually working

After you removed the battery, did you press/hold the power button for ~30 sec?  And did you install a fresh battery after pressing/holding the power button?  And is it installed right-side-up?

You can't put the HDD from the XPS 8300 in the D3000. There's only one drive bay for a HDD in the D3000. The XPS 8300 uses a SATA HDD, but the D3000 only supports IDE HDDs. And even if you could, put it in the D3000, it's not going to boot from the XPS 8300 HDD.

Your only hope would be to put the XPS 8300 HDD into a PC that supports SATA HDDs, but as a secondary drive, not as boot drive. Or install that drive in an external enclosure that supports SATA HDDs and allows you to connect it to any PC via USB.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Bill2020
1 Copper

I just attached a working Dell monitor to the computer but that made no difference. I changed the battery but that did nothing either. The light on the power button turns on, amber colour, then turns off and on and off and on... Could a bad hard drive cause this power up issue to happen or do you think it's the power supply? Is changing the power supply difficult to do? I don't want to waste money buying parts that are not needed.

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Disconnect the hard drive from the power supply. Do the "battery thing" to reset BIOS and then see if it boots up, at least as far as an error "no system drive detected".

If you get that far, connect a bootable USB stick to the PC and then reboot. If it boots from the stick, then the problem may be with the HDD. If not, the problem might be with the power supply.

And in that case, try doing the power supply paperclip test.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Bill2020
1 Copper

I already tried disconnecting the hard drive, USB ports, CD/DVD drive but that made no difference. I'm thinking either the motherboard or CPU are screwed. I was wondering if I should buy the same model of motherboard off of eBay and give that a shot. What a huge pain in the ass. I noticed all the components are made in China. Give me strength.

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Do the PSU paperclip test...

Was a monitor connected to a port on the add-in video card port (assuming you have an add-in card) or to one of the onboard video ports when you tried all those things? Like I said, it probably won't boot if no monitor is connected. And if you have an add-in video card, did you physically remove it, clear BIOS and then connect the monitor to an onboard video port?

Only you can decide whether it's worth putting any more time/money into this old system or better spent on a new one. You get what you pay for on fleaBay, so who knows if a replacement motherboard will solve the problem - or not, assuming the replacement board actually works (and for how long?). And if it doesn't solve the problem, are you then going to buy a new CPU?

If your files aren't backed up externally, you could always put this HDD into a new PC as a secondary drive to recover your files. And then use this drive for extra storage in the new system.

As for parts being made in China, virtually all high tech gear is made in China so that doesn't tell you anything...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos