Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 17th, 2018 14:00

XPS 8300 won't connect to 4k Samsung TV

I've been trying to connect my XPS 8300 computer to my Samsung 4kTV with an HDMI 2.0 cable, but my TV does not recognize the source. I've also tried a dvi to hdmi adaptor but that hasnt worked either. Any help would be appreciated.

5 Posts

April 17th, 2018 19:00

I was able to make the setup work. Turns out I was using a unidirectional HDMI cable without knowing it. Thank you all for the help!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 17th, 2018 15:00

What video card is in the XPS-8300 ?

5 Posts

April 17th, 2018 15:00

AMD Radeon HD 6670

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

April 17th, 2018 16:00

The AMD Radeon HD 6670 will not do 4K, but you should still be able the connect it to your TV and get it to work at a lower resolution. Are you able to detect the TV by right-clicking the desktop and selecting Display settings? Have you connected the computer to a monitor with the same HDMI cable and gotten it to work? Have you checked that the TV is setup properly to receive the HDMI input?

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

April 17th, 2018 17:00

It is good that the computer can detect the TV. That tells me that there is at least communication over HDMI between the computer and the TV. I would look into the proper setup of the TV for receiving an HDMI input. 

5 Posts

I am not able to get anything to display on the TV. My computer is able to detect the TV and I set up duplicate display with the TV through display settings but the TV still gets no HDMI signal. My monitor only has DVI, Display port and VGA so I dont really have any way of testing if the HDMI works through my computer except for the TV. Furthermore, even with the DVI (which I use for my normal monitor) to hdmi adaptor, the TV still gets no signal. The cable itself works since I've tested it with some gaming consoles. Also, I've already updated all drivers on both the TV and PC.

5 Posts

I've tested all hdmi ports on the TV using gaming consoles, the TV is able to receive HDMI input from everything except my computer. According to my TV, my computer isn't even turned on. My computer recognizes that the TV is turned on however.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 17th, 2018 18:00

@Thwompwrote:

AMD Radeon HD 6670

Like @Vic384 says ... it won't do a native 4K resolution. Whether the HDTV can accept a lower resolution and all that, I don't know.  But even if it could, that kinda defeats the point of this setup, doesn't it?

My guess is that it's not passing the "HDMI negotiation" of the link-up because of this resolution miss-match.

https://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/6000/6670

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Read carefully, and follow that link to HardForum.

I have a feeling the answer is there somewhere (if it's not just the resolution thing).

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General/Alienware-X51-R3-no-boot-when-connected-to-4k-TV-via-HDMI/td-p/5610664

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

Have you tried different resolution/refresh settings for your graphics card?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 17th, 2018 19:00

@Thwompwrote:

I was able to make the setup work. Turns out I was using a unidirectional HDMI cable without knowing it. Thank you all for the help!

Good work. :Yes:

Yeah, I stay away from Redmere and other exotic HDMI cables. Just good-ole (heavy gauge) high-bandwidth HDMI cables in my Home Theater. :Cool:

No Events found!