Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

14 Posts

June 18th, 2018 18:00

XPS 8300, won't power on 1 out of 10 times

When I try and power it on 1 out of 10 times, I get a blip of a light on the switch and the power supply fan does a quarter spin and it goes dark. There is a light on the motherboard. Could it be the switch or worse? 

14 Posts

June 19th, 2018 07:00

Thanks for the suggestion a few years back due to a fan failure I changed power supplies. My current power supply a evga 600 does not have a light. As I said the mother board did light up though after pulling everything. It would seem that I found the cause my current graphics card when connected prevents the computer from powering up. If I unplug the card from the power supply my fans come on and it seems the computer will try and boot. So I am ordering a graphics card.

June 19th, 2018 07:00

Hello linton23,

Disconnect power and all pripherals including the mouse and keyboard. Press and hold the power button down for about 30 seconds. Let go and then connect to power. Do not connect any peripherals yet. Ensure the power supply LED at the rear is lit and try powering up.

If the LED at the rear is not lit, its a power supply fault. Otherwise, its a motherboard failure.

No Events found!