Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 28th, 2020 16:00

XPS 8930, bluetooth disappeared

I noticed the system BIOS updated itself recently from 1.1.12 to 1.1.13. Then I found my bluetooth kbd and mouse not working anymore. I reinstalled Qualcomm Wifi/bluetooth driver. No use. Device manager does not see any bluetooth adapter.

I downloaded the previous version of the BIOS 1.1.12 and reinstalled it. Still not seeing bluetooth adapter in device manager. More that the system insisted on upgrading BIOS to latest 1.1.13.

Does anybody have the same problems, bluetooth disappearing? It happened between 3/26 to 3/27. It was working and suddenly not working any more.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

March 28th, 2020 17:00

See if this thread is any help.

March 28th, 2020 20:00

Used the link above and followed the instruction from the original problem post. It suddenly came back with the bluetooth adapter as the following stated:

I shutdown the XPS 8930, unplugged the power cord for a few minutes, then powered it back on. I then went to Device Manager and uninstalled the Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed). When I then did a Scan for Hardware Changes, the Bluetooth appeared in Device Manager. This resolved the issue.

I powered off XPS and unplugged the power cord for a couple minutes. Then put it back and powered on. Opened Device Manager. Bluetooth adapter came back!

2.5K Posts

March 29th, 2020 06:00

w10 or w7 loaded. nobody can guess any OS. if you force them to answers many will be wrong BIG TIME.

wireless keyboards acting odd is bad battery in same. (like millions have right now world wide,.. endless)

The BT wifi card can not scan any dead keyboard ever, over BT. battery dead

if the driver is bad reload it.

2.5K Posts

March 29th, 2020 08:00

here is the order of failures... generic. I dont have full spec on any of these  and most OEMs docs stinks here.

• battery dead inside keyboard, #1 all time most likely.
  • USB port dead or stuck in sleep mode,  bad drivers. NO OS told w10 -64bit?
  • Bluetooth driver wrong. (missing or corrupted or not for your OS>)
  • some of these KBD have addresses, the better ones for say office with 100 PCs, close and they would fail.
  • so.... this must be reset if you get that wrong, RTM, the read the manual on your PC KBD.
  • Bluetooth as a link storage place inside it, this allows fast reconnects ( A BT feature prime!) but can be reset an forced to relearn the KBD connection,  again RTM. (read how to reset this )
  • I'd kick it to the curb and use  USB wired, no desktop ever needs wireless keyboards, ever, but gee...
  • and last most BT have short range so if you are using 200inch TV on HDMI with you 25ft away on sofa with bluetooth failing ,DANG. really? I can't see you so,,, wow, what you have there I can never guess, at all.

2.5K Posts

March 29th, 2020 08:00

NO OS stated, 8930 , what in the world is 8390?  I'm in USA and see no such thing here,

regressing BIOS is so evil I am silent,.

the driver must match your unstated OS.

no PC 8390 exists so can see what OS it came new with and if that is problem can I.

83xx came with w7 and upgrades to w10 are in fact problematic for any PC that old.  10 years old.

98xx is  0 to 3 years old, even brand spanking new, now. and does have BT/WIFE card inside,  and w10 loaded.

anytime BT fails go wired, and fix it when lazy and doing nothing much like stuck at home quarantined.

the manual on your PC shows wired keyboard not BT. so where did this BT keyboard come from?  maker and model, and is battery fresh.

if the battery does the BT side on the keyboard dies with it.

that is it, for sure if you typed, 83 by mistake. did  you?

13 Posts

March 30th, 2020 08:00

Yeah, I had the exact same problem at the exact same time.  The provided solution, unplugging and then uninstalling the unknown USB device, worked for me.  Prior to that I could not scan for new hardware, but after following the directions I could do that and Bluetooth "came back".

April 21st, 2020 16:00

That worked! Unplugging it is an essential step.

1 Message

May 13th, 2020 06:00

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!  This worked.  My bluetooth disappeared AND my internet got VERY slow to non-working.  This has fixed BOTH problems.

My bluetooth just mysteriously disappeared on 5/12/2020.  I added nothing and downloaded nothing that i know of.  The provided solution, unplugging and then uninstalling the unknown USB device, worked for me.

1 Message

May 26th, 2020 12:00

That worked for me as well 

May 29th, 2020 12:00

After hours searching for the resolution to bring back Bluetooth to my Dell XPS 8930, this solved it. The issue was created when I used the USB to charge my Bose headphones. This is an obvious bug that should, be addressed by Dell. Love the computer but would not have expected a simple USB charge to create a Bluetooth problem. 

2 Posts

June 21st, 2020 20:00

I am on my second Dell XPS 8930, the qualcomm wifi/bluetooth adaptor appears to be bad in both, maybe heat related. You have to delete the failed USB you see in Device Manager, shut down, pull the power cable for a minute, replug, then turn back on. Possibly (you may not need this step), after reboot delete the failed USB then open Device Manager, right click on the PC name and scan for hardware changes and bluetooth is back. Something is bad with the XPS 8930, expect to have to do this now and again, does not correlate to any hardware, software, or bios changes....just time passing. Are you listening DELL and QUALCOMM? Dell support had me pull the battery and re-seat the wire connections on the Qualcomm chip, etc....not the issue.

Savvy must be a typo, ridiculous generic reply...what OS might it be in a 2020 pc? Temple?

July 14th, 2020 07:00

Yesssssssssssss! It worked, thanks a lot. But what was that weird glitch Dell?

2 Posts

July 15th, 2020 09:00

Thank you for your post! The remote help support guy is very polite.  

2 Posts

July 15th, 2020 09:00

Thank you for the original post! It WORKED!

11 Posts

August 5th, 2020 11:00

I'm having the same issue with my system as with with Windows 10 64bit, however after trying the solutions given, I'm having no such luck as when I scan for hardware changes, the failed USB listing reappears again and no sign of bluetooth. Unfortunately it may have kicked the bucket for good and may end up having to by an external usb bluetooth adapter to get around this issue. I'd like to make a note in the past year and a half this is the only I have had with this system, everything else seems to be running smoothly.

No Events found!