Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

4 Posts

January 13th, 2020 21:00

XPS 8390, external eSATA/PCI-e Card

I recently acquired an XPS 8390 and wanted to add a PCI-e eSATA controller card (I have some legacy eSATA drives). I installed the card but the hardware was not detected. Should I be surprised by this, i.e. any reason why eSATA would not work on this machine?

Possibly related but I am not smart enough to know for sure: out of the box the machine was configured for RAID.  Not very smart, but...oh well.  Would this effect eSATA capabilities (hard to see how)?  And would encounter any issues with going into the BIOS and flipping the RAID setting off (as in flip it to AHCI)?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 14th, 2020 09:00

@aa040371 wrote:

XPS 8390

1. any reason why PCIe eSATA card would not work on this machine?

2. Would this effect eSATA capabilities (hard to see how)? 

3. And would I encounter any issues with going into the BIOS and flipping the RAID setting off (as in flip it to AHCI)?

1. No

2. No

3. Yes

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 14th, 2020 10:00

What motherboard slot did you put that card in, and is it fully/properly seated?

Did the card come with its own drivers and did you install them?

What version of PCI-e does the card support?

You could try clearing BIOS to make sure it sees the new card:

1. Reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup
  2. Copy down all current BIOS settings, to be safe
  3. Power off, unplug
  4. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  5. Open case and remove motherboard battery (check Service Manual for details)
  6. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  7. Reinstall battery
  8. Close up and connect mouse, monitor and keyboard
  9. Reboot

4 Posts

January 16th, 2020 11:00

Sorry about delay responding...I did not get any email notifications even though I have them tuned on in my profile.

--------------------------------

"What motherboard slot did you put that card in, and is it fully/properly seated?"  I've tried it in both slot3 and slot 4.  It's as fully seated as I know how to seat things...?  Would I receive any indication for boot sequence or O/S (e.g. device manager) if it wasn't seated correctly?

"Did the card come with its own drivers and did you install them?"  It came with its own drivers, but not an install executable or script, so hard for me to tell.  CD has ~20 directories, each with some sort of install executable or .inf file, and each arcanely named.  I installed the two that seemed most likely candidates.

"What version of PCI-e does the card support?"  x1 (unless that's not what you meant).

----------------------------------

It appears (I'm not 100% sure, because internet) that the card I purchased may not be certified or designed or whatever for W10.  It's a bit surprising that one would even be offered that doesn't as O/S had been out for 4+ years, now, but again, internet.  I've got another on the way that explicitly indicates it will work with W10, so if that one is a problem as well I'll just throw in the towel.

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 16th, 2020 12:00

There probably should be a primary "auto-run", "setup" or "installer" on that disk, probably in the root directory. Just randomly installing files is not likely to be productive. And that could be entirely responsible for your problems.

You should contact the card manufacturer's support team directly and ask if it supports Win 10 and for advice/instructions on how to run the installation properly...

I meant PCI-e version 1.0, 1.1, 2, 3....

Slot 3 = PCI-e x1, slot 4 = PCI-e x4 so it should work in either slot.

4 Posts

January 16th, 2020 12:00

I typed a whole bunch of stuff out so. Anyway, new card is working. Thanks for your time, etc. I'd kudo you but Dell isn't letting me do that, either.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 16th, 2020 13:00

@aa040371 wrote:

i typed a whole bunch of stuff but friggin Dell.com crapped out so...

Anyway, new card is working.  Thanks for your time, etc.  I'd kudo you but Dell isn't letting me do that, either.

Glad the new card is working. Can you return the other one?

And I just typed a l-o-n-g post in another thread before I came back here, and....POOF!...gone. So I feel your pain...

4 Posts

January 16th, 2020 16:00

The 1st card was just $10 (maybe >that< was my problem...lol).  I had been communicating back-n-forth with them, so they understood card was not working for me.  They offered to refund without my returning (maybe tells you something).

"So I feel your pain..."

Khaaaaaaaaan!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 16th, 2020 17:00

Take the 10 bucks from them and run...

No Events found!