Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 19th, 2019 09:00

XPS 8500, HDD upgrade to SSD

I have a 2012 XPS 8500 with a failing HDD.  I am deciding between another HDD or an SSD.  Since the system already has a 32gb boot disk so, does it make sense to buy an SSD replacement for my main drive?  Is there any performance gain in doing so? The price difference is not much.

Here are the two disks I am deciding between.  I only have 460Gb used after 6+ years of usage so the 1Tb should be adequate to replace my existing 2Tb drive.

1. Samsung 1Tb SSD

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079NZV4XX/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

2. 2Tb Seagate Firecuda

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H28SY38/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Thanks,

Jim 

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

April 19th, 2019 12:00

@MrJimi wrote:

I think you are correct, the 32Gb SSD is cache only.  That is why I was wondering if an SSD boot partition will help since it probably uses the cache partition anyways most of the time anyways.

I am not sure I understand your question. If you decide to replace your present HDD with a SSD the SSD cache will not be of much benefit, so I would remove it. Before you replace the HDD, you should disable the cache, I believe that is done in the Intel Rapid Storage Technology app. Next you should switch SATA Mode in the BIOS from RAID to AHCI. You should then install the new SSD and either fresh install Windows or clone your existing HDD (if it is still operational). If you install Windows fresh you should disconnect the HDD and if you clone your HDD you should disconnect the HDD after cloning is completed before booting the SSD. If you buy the Samsung SSD you can download Samsung Data Migration (free) to clone the HDD.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

April 19th, 2019 10:00

What OS are you running? Are you positive the 32 GB disk (probably a mSATA SSD) is the boot disk or perhaps a cache for the HDD? You should run Disk Management and Intel Rapid Storage Technology to find out.

4 Posts

April 19th, 2019 11:00

I think you are correct, the 32Gb SSD is cache only.  That is why I was wondering if an SSD boot partition will help since it probably uses the cache partition anyways most of the time anyways.

4 Posts

April 19th, 2019 13:00

To clarify, I am only replacing the disk drive, not the cache drive. I think you confirmed my suspicion that I should just buy the Seagate drive.  Thank you!

35 Posts

August 22nd, 2020 13:00

Hi Vic384 (and everyone):

Thanks so much for your help. This is super helpful. You mentioned that before I replace the HDD, I should disable the cache. Can you please give us some instructions as to "how to" disable the cache with that 32GB SSD that came with this old PC (Dell XPS 8500 LE)? It is showing up as "DATAPARTI (K:)" under my Windows 10 now. Thanks!

35 Posts

August 22nd, 2020 13:00

I have a similar situation. I'm hoping to upgrade my XPS 8500 to some level (HDD to SSD, graphics card, 32GB RAM) so that it can sort of run the recently released Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. If I replace the Seagate 2TB HDD (factory) with an SSD, would that give me big performance gain in terms of boot up time and running this flight sim game? Thoughts? Thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

August 22nd, 2020 14:00

To disable the 32 GB cache, go to the Intel Rapid Storage Technology application, click on the Performance tab, click on Disable Acceleration.  I believe there is also an option to make available the space that was used for caching to be used for data storage if you plan to keep the 32 GB SSD installed.

35 Posts

September 13th, 2020 14:00

Also, if an m.2 nvme SSD is much faster than a mSATA or SATA SSD, is it possible to install an m.2 nvme SSD in Dell XPS 8500? Thanks!

35 Posts

September 13th, 2020 14:00

Thanks so much! If I'm not mistaken I think there is only ONE mSATA slot on this motherboard. So if I want to use that "only" mSATA slot for an mSATA SSD drive I'm assuming that I would have to remove that 32GB msata SSD drive that came with this PC, right? If I'm getting a regular SATA SSD to replace that factory built-in 2TB 7200rpm HDD, do I still need to keep that "cache" 32GB mSATA SSD drive then?? Should I be getting an msata SSD or a regular SATA SSD if I would like to keep that current 2TB HDD as a storage drive? Thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

September 13th, 2020 16:00

If you are getting a SATA SSD to replace the 2TB HDD you do not need to remove the 32GB mSATA SSD but you still should disable it as a cache. You could use the 32GB as additional storage but that is not much storage. You should get a regular 2.5" SATA SSD if you decide to keep the 2TB HDD as additional storage; mSATA SSD is old technology. 

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

September 13th, 2020 16:00

According to the specifications, the XPS 8500 does not have a M.2 slot on the motherboard. You could use a M.2 PCIe adapter card, but the XPS 8500 only has x1 PCIe slots except, of course, the x16 slot for the graphics card. At x1 it would be slower than SATA 3.

35 Posts

September 18th, 2020 19:00

Got it. This is very helpful. So how do I disable the 32GB mSATA SSD drive as cache? Can you please give me some step-by-step instructions? Also if I don't do anything for that mSATA SSD drive and install an new SATA SSD 1TB drive as my boot drive (and move my existing 2TB HDD as a storage)... What would happen? Would that 32GB "cache" drive slow down performance etc.? Thoughts?

Also, I suppose that I can use the new 1TB SATA SSD drive as the boot drive (connect it to the SATA 0 port), and move the 2TB HDD to SATA 1 - to use it as "storage" drive)... is this correct? Just wondering, is that factory build-in Seagate 2TB ST2000DM001-1CH164 HDD is an SATA 3.0 (6 Gb/s) drive, right? Since only SATA 0 port support SATA 3.0 (6Gb/s), if I move it to SATA 1 (SATA 2.0, 3 Gb/s), I will be getting slower performance for that 2TB HDD drive, right??

Thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

September 19th, 2020 04:00

You disable the cache by using the Intel Rapid Storage Technology application. Perhaps this video will help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaEDUbOpDAo

You could leave the mSATA drive installed. It will show up as another disk drive. The mSATA drive will not affect performance.

If you move the Seagate drive to SATA1 you will get slower performance but you will probably not notice any difference unless you are accessing very large files. If you install the Seagate drive, you should re-initialize the drive to wipe all the data off of it, mainly because it was a boot drive and you should not have two boot drives in the system.

35 Posts

September 19th, 2020 12:00

Thanks! This is supper helpful!

By the way I also upgraded my 8500 from 12GB or RAM to 32GB of RAM. I think I can't upgrade the CPU as the fastory-installed CPU (i7-3770) should be the fastest that I can get for this socket (LGA 1155) - if I'm wrong, please let me know.

Now that I have 1TB SSD and 32GB of RAM installed, wow it feels like a completely different PC! Yay!

My next question is. Do I need to tweak anything on the Windows 10 end (pagefile size, etc.), so that this PC could run even faster (with the newly installed 32GB RAM)?? Thoughts? Thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

September 19th, 2020 13:00

For your Dell, you already have the fastest processor the motherboard can support. There is an i7-3770K but your Dell motherboard does not support overclocking. In my opinion, processor upgrades are usually not worth the cost, especially for an older system.

There are some tweaks in this article that may improve Windows 10 performance but many do not apply if you have an SSD: https://www.windowscentral.com/tips-tricks-increase-pc-performance-windows-10

No Events found!