Start a Conversation

Unsolved

13 Posts

May 20th, 2018 02:00

XPS 8500, Motherboard replacement

I'd appreciate some assistance/advisement  for my XPS 8500 Desktop with replacing my OEM Motherboard.

I've got my original DVD installation disk(s) (and Serial #'s) THAT I PURCHASED independently as backup.
I'm also beyond 'Warranty Help' but I've had to re-install my system (Twice) from 'my'  PURCHASED Windows 8 Pro DVD SET/ and installed while still not using any Dell Warranty Help for my 8 Pro, 8.1 Pro (Upgrade).

So, after doing everything I can to alleviate any more BSD issues with my current configuration, I should be able to re-install 'MY' DVD 8 Pro on a 'NEW MOTHERBOARD and then the 8.1 without any interference/ problems?  

My XPS 8500 is BSD (Blue screening me to death, especially for the past 2 weeks) and I've analyzed RAM with v7.5 memtested86.exe that makes 4 passes (clearing 3 of the 4 sticks, 2x 4GB and 1x 2GB have cleared as good;  1x 2GB had issues). I installed the pair of 4GB Memory sticks in the interim.

I'm waiting for a 'Set of 2x 8GB Memory sticks from Crucial, to add to the 2x 4GB of Ram and increase memory to 24GB of the 32GB capacity to see if the increased Memory Alleviates the 'Memory_Management' BSD.

I'm getting mostly "Memory_Management" BSD sometimes 3-4 times daily, followed by "System_Service_Exception" intermittently the previous 'Primary' BSD's and other days nothing but by the 3rd day, it returns.

I've also had "KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" and "Page_Fault_In_NONPAGED_AREA (Ntfs.sys) BSD's.

So I'd like to know if you think that I could replace my OEM Motherboard and not be interfered with by anymore issues with these BSD's?

I'd appreciate some solid advise. Thank You.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 20th, 2018 03:00

Mixing memory often results in problems.  Even if the memory has the same spec's but different memory vendors it can not work or cause Blue Screens.  Only use all of the same brand/type.  We have seen this as a problem many times on this forum.  But, its not just a "Dell" issue.  I have an ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero (gaming) motherboard.  I have 16GB of G-Skill DDR4 memory and 16GB of Corsair DDR4 memory, both the same speed specs, but they will not work together, I can install the G-Skill and it works perfectly, same way with the Corsair but if both are installed it will not even boot and gives a memory error during the "POST" (Power On Self Test).

Before you do any hardware changing (and a non-Dell motherboard MAY not fit or connect) only use one brand/type of memory and see how that works out.

13 Posts

May 20th, 2018 11:00

The 2 sticks I put back are from my 'Original' configuration 'Purchase' from Dell in the Fall of 2012.

They are a 'Brand' (Hynix, China 01) and as I've said before they passed (4 passes) the memtest86 scans.

When I did the tests, I placed all 4 ('1 at a time) in just 1 socket. I did not 'Check/ Test' these 'original memory sticks' in any of the 'Other sockets to (maybe) see if a 'Particular' socket was somehow causing the ('Memory_Management') issue(s) specifically.

Before I did 'ALL' this, I had also constantly been getting 2 'Beeps', but after all this that I've explained, Beeping has ceased as the only 'PLUS'.

The set (2 x 8GB) of Memory I have ordered are coming from Crucial, and they scanned my computer to give me my 'Compatible' selection. So I will follow your advice and only place the 'Crucial' memory sticks into the computer and 'NOT MIX' (install) with the 'Hynix, China 01 memory.

If after I replace memory as I've outlined and I still get 'Memory_Management' BSD, and/or any other of the other 3, then may I 'PLEASE' CONTINUE' to expect that you will 'possibly' have further 'Helpful/ Beneficial Advice?

...and Thank You for your insight f'ireberd', and you are appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 20th, 2018 14:00

Ruling out memory as the problem, have you run a complete hardware diagnostics?  Link below is to the Dell on-line hardware diagnostics.  I wouldn't rule out some other hardware issue and even a CPU problem.  Even an OS problem.  

But, first run the complete hardware diagnostics. 

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/xps-8500/diagnose

13 Posts

May 20th, 2018 20:00

Several times BEFORE I spoke to a Dell Tech that was here the other day repairing my Granddaughters laptop. He said I should start with the most frequent BSD code and then 'IF' that appears to be handled go back and do the 'Diagnostics' and see if anything is 'Discoverable'.

So yes, I will spend a little more time letting this 1st issue have a chance at subsiding (week or so) and then move on to resolving these other BSD issues

So far I'm going to continue to perform the Memory diagnostics stress test(s) until that time.

Time is a necessary commodity (along with everlasting patience) if I'm going to be fair.

Thanks for staying the course with me and keeping on that path to a better day (far, far) into the future fireberd.

13 Posts

June 22nd, 2018 11:00

Dell requires Support Assist and 'WILL NOT INSTALL' apparently because my computer is 'NO LONGER UNDER DELL 'purview or warrantied'.

So Dell really doesn't like to continue any type of 'DIAGNOSTICS'.

Therefore, you suggesting these remedies are 'FRUITLESS'.

So... I'm (and millions of others) SOL from any further discovery through from DELL.

Sincerely,

1Eagler3 

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 22nd, 2018 11:00

Dell Support Assist is a subscription based service its not a lifetime warranty.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/supportassist-pcs-tablets-at-home/ab/supportassist-pcs-tablets-at-home

The XPS 8500 is well past the 3 year standard warranty and the 2 year warranty extension as its from 2012.  Intel and Microsoft have also stated that newer generations will NOT SUPPORT windows 7 and will be windows 10 only. Dell nor any other vendor support 3rd party ram and other Items not shipped with the system.

Dell Studio Xps 8500 NW73C Motherboard is likely no longer available being an LGA 1155 DDR3 motherboard.  The Current XPS 8930 is an 8th Gen Core I7 LGA 1151 motherboard that uses DDR4.

Intel Sandy Bridge Platform

Intel Ivy Bridge Platform

Intel Haswell Platform

Intel Broadwell Platform

Intel Skylake Platform

Intel Kaby Lake Platform

Intel Coffee Lake Platform

Processor Architecture

Sandy Bridge

Ivy Bridge

Haswell

Broadwell