1 Copper

XPS 8500, Not getting updates after factory reset

Jump to solution

I recently factory reseted my XPS 8500 using dell backup and recovery factory image. Then when installing updates, it didin't receive any. Please help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Re: XPS 8500 Not getting updates after factory reset

Jump to solution

I am not sure updates for Windows 8 are still available. Support for Windows 8 ended in Jan. 2016. Did you try upgrading to Windows 8.1 by doing this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15288/windows-8-update-to-windows-8-1

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Jump to solution

What updates are you referring to, Dell updates or Windows updates? What Windows OS are you using? The XPS 8500 is old, depending upon the age of the Dell backup and factory image, I would not expect any Dell updates. 

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Windows updates on windows 8 because to upgrade to windows 8.1 you need to install updates

Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Jump to solution

I am not sure updates for Windows 8 are still available. Support for Windows 8 ended in Jan. 2016. Did you try upgrading to Windows 8.1 by doing this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15288/windows-8-update-to-windows-8-1

View solution in original post

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

ok let me try

Highlighted
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

Win 10 ver. 1909 install ISO or USB is free download from Microsoft.  You just need a blank DVD to burn a copy or an 8 GB USB drive.  you can use Win 8 product key to activate Win 10.  Win 10 automatically updates periodically.  Unless you have a strong preference for Win 8.

Highlighted
8 Xenon

Re: XPS 8500, Not getting updates after factory reset

Jump to solution

Very old versions of windows wont update.

You have to be at least 1709 or your windows is end of life.

If your machine had Windows 7 or 8.0 it will never get updates again you must change to windows 8.1 or 10.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro