Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

2 Posts

February 15th, 2019 18:00

XPS 8500, can't solve a RAM problem

I have an XPS 8500 tower which started having Memory_Management Windows stop codes today. 

I was trying a number of troubleshooting steps and I kept getting the blue screens, 5 times in 2 hours. 

So then I tried one of the steps which was, remove and re-seat the RAM one by one. 

I did that and since then when I start up I get a blinking orange power button and 2 beeps repeating over and over. 

All the research I did tells me that it's can't detect RAM.  After researching the problem I tried removing all the RAM and trying each stick in each slot individually one by one and I get the same result. 

It seems unbelievable to me that all 4 sticks of RAM could have gone bade at once; is it possible that it's the motherboard?  

I'm about at the point of buying a new computer but felt I should ask the community and see if there's anything else I can try.  I appreciate any help you can give me.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 15th, 2019 19:00

@thisyear2019 wrote:

It seems unbelievable to me that all 4 sticks of RAM could have gone bade at once; is it possible that it's the motherboard?  

In the scenario you describe, the motherboard sounds more likely, but either is possible.

Until you see that RAM work in this machine (or some other) ... you can't really say "it's good".  :Smile:

February 15th, 2019 21:00

I'm reluctant to invest in memory that I won't be able to use. I suspect that the component of the motherboard that holds the RAM is burned out. Does that sound plausible?

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

February 16th, 2019 04:00

Have you checked the coin-cell battery on the motherboard that backs up the BIOS settings? Follow the procedure in the manual for replacing it.

Also what happens when you enter the BIOS if you can enter the BIOS? Does the BIOS detect your memory?

1 Message

January 13th, 2022 10:00

The orange light and 2 beeps indicate no RAM. Best check is to remove all RAM and then insert one card back in. Ensure it is secure or you will still get the 2 beep. Power up. If the ram is OK the computer power light should be white. It may take a while for your machine to boot up. If it boots up OK. Add another board and repeat. If you get 4 beeps and an orange light you have a bad card and you will know which one. Make sure that you blow out the card slot before placing the card to ensure good contact.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 13th, 2022 11:00

To add to what @Vic384 already said, with PC unplugged from wall, remove the motherboard CR2032  battery and press/hold power button on PC for ~30 sec. This should clear any stored BIOS errors.

Then reinstall all RAM modules in their slots and lock the retention clips. Install the fresh battery last. Close up, connect mouse, monitor and keyboard, and see if it boots now...

No Events found!