Highlighted
Joe586
1 Nickel

XPS 8500, motherboard replacement help

My family owns a Dell XPS 8500, a few months ago it started acting up. It wouldn’t boot, and then it wouldn’t stay running for more than 5-7minutes. We took it to our local office supply store and they told us that we had fried the motherboard. So we searched online for a replacement motherboard. Dell doesn’t make New motherboards for this unit, so the best we could do was a refurbished unit. It took more than six weeks to get it from China. We installed it. No problem with the installation. When we tried to boot it up, we got that amber light/standby mode. So again we went online, here in fact, we tried the unplug the unit and press and hold the power for fifteen seconds. We tried taking the battery out of the motherboard itself. We even tried to install the wrong the hard drive cable that came with the new board. Nothing has worked yet. Please help, as a college student I need the computer 

0 Kudos
27 Replies
7 Plutonium

Re: XPS 8500 motherboard replacement help

It sounds like the refurbished motherboard may be bad.  That happens and getting it from China was a bad idea.

There are some listed on Amazon. I can't vouch for any of them other than I found them on Amazon doing a search. 

https://www.amazon.com/xps-8500-motherboard/s?page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Axps%208500%20motherboard

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
Joe586
1 Nickel

Is there any way to tell for sure that my “replacement” board is bad?

to be fair we bought it from Newegg

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

There's several possibilities.  Exactly how is the Amber light working?  Solid Amber or Flashing.

Do you get any beep codes?

Assuming everything is installed correctly.  Power cable(s), CPU, etc.  Three possibilities.  (1) Motherboard, (2) Power Supply (3) CPU.   

If the CPU was not properly installed and bent some of the CPU socket pins, the motherboard is toast.

The other option is not to put any more $$ in an "older" system and just put towards a new one. 

I am not a Dell Employee

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

0 Kudos
Joe586
1 Nickel

Solid amber light, all the cooling fans fire up and run. That leads me to believe it’s not the PSU. You push the power button and the light almost immediately turns amber. Nothing happens after that. I’ve even tried the static electricity trick? Where you unplug everything and hold the power button down for 15 seconds?
0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

It should have a beep code too.  If not, that points to motherboard.  Are you sure you have both the 24 pin and 4 pin power conneections?

Whether it was received defective, or installing the CPU or whatever caused it. 

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

What color is the PSU indicator LED on rear of PC, right above the power socket, when PC fails with amber power button?

And you may want to read Dell's PSU troubleshooting guide.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Joe586
1 Nickel

On startup the computer beeps once, then it starts its usual whirling sounds. Instead of continuing through that progression it stops and the light on top turns amber

0 Kudos
Joe586
1 Nickel

Ron, The LED on the back is green sir
0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

One beep, according to the Dell documentation  "BIOS ROM Checksum in progress or failure"

I don't recall if you mentioned you reset the BIOS (cleared the CMOS Memory) but if not do that.  With the power off, remove the CR2032 coin cell battery on the motherboard for at least 10 minutes.  If no help, its back to a defective motherboard.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

0 Kudos