Start a Conversation

Unsolved

145 Posts

June 13th, 2018 07:00

XPS 8500, replacing 2TB HDD with 12TB HDD, solved!

I have a Dell XPS 8500 that uses a 2 TB HDD + a 32 GB mSATA cache SSD as its main drive in Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST.)

Per CrystalDiskInfo, the 2 TB HDD has a high likelihood of failure soon, so I've cloned it to a 12 TB replacement.

Question: do I need to set up the 32 GB mSATA SSD as a cache drive again in RST once I boot into Windows on the new drive, or does that happen automatically?

UPDATE: Solved. Assuming your RST is running in Enhanced Mode, all you need to do is clone the HDD. The PC will boot normally and RST will spin back up with the same configuration (albeit with the storage of the new drive) in Windows.

5 Posts

December 12th, 2018 11:00

Jdrch,

I have an XPS 8500 w/ 2TB HDD and 256MB SDD.  SDD is fine and desktop boots up.  HDD is not recognized, so assume it has completely failed.

I have data backed up to external drive. 

Question is can I just take out the HDD and replace it? 

You mentioned cloning your drive.  Is that something I need to do and how would I do it or is it even possible given the HDD failure.

Thanks in advance.

145 Posts

December 12th, 2018 11:00

"completely failed."

Don't just assume; check using CrystalDiskInfo Standard Edition. If the disk is listed there, it should provide information about its health. If it isn't, see what you can get out of MiniTool below. If both of those fail, I'm out of ideas.

"can I just take out the HDD and replace it"

Yes, you can. Follow the removal and replacement instructions in the manual. Don't forget to press the power button for the documented time after disconnecting the XPS from AC power or it might not boot up when you're done (I used to have this problem all the time until I reread the manual)

"Is that something I need to do and how would I do it or is it even possible given the HDD failure."

Try MiniTool to clone the old HDD to the new one. If that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas. I haven't had an HDD fail on me in well over a decade now.

145 Posts

December 12th, 2018 12:00

90% chance the old HDD is dead, then. Last ditch options to recover the data (not the drive, it's toast):

1) Try Spinrite: https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

2) Try using a Linux live environment to rescue the disk (I have never done this before, and it comes with the risk of accidentally blowing away your other storage)

145 Posts

Seagate Barracuda Pro for performance, WD Gold for endurance. Pick whichever one of those is more important to you, then pick the lowest $/GB model in the lineup.

5 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply. Downloaded both and each one only sees: Micron C400 RealSSD mSATA 256GB SATA nothing showing of the original "Hard Drive, 2TB, S3, 7.2K, SFT-Muskie, 5G" indicated on original configuration under Dell System support scan. Thanks for caution on powering down and holding on/off to clear all power from system.

5 Posts

Thank you!  Appreciate the fast responses. 

5 Posts

Jdrch,

Thanks but not willing to risk the SSD.  Any recommendations on compatible/reliable drive to replace this 2TB one?

Thanks

145 Posts

December 12th, 2018 13:00

np, all the best!

No Events found!