Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

1 Message

January 22nd, 2019 13:00

XPS 8500, wont boot, Solved

My 5 year old XPS 8500 wont boot. Pressing the power button just turns the CPU fan for 1 second and then it turns off. PSU green light is on. The Mobo at amber light. 

There are other threads on this issue suggesting bunch of other things and one said that you replace the Mobo. But hopefully this heps someone. I noticed during CMOS battery removal, that when I unplugged power cord, and pressed the power button on top, the amber light on the Mobo tool 3-4 seconds to dim out (generally its right away) if the power button is pressed.

I removed the front panel connector. Shorted the pins under White and brown wires (which I traced to the power button) and boom PC started just fine.

I opened the top panel where the power button resides, doused it with rubbing alcohol and gave it 10 push in/outs. 

FIXED!

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

January 22nd, 2019 14:00

Great diagnostic job!

3 Posts

November 8th, 2019 09:00

Could you explain what you meant by "doused" the power button with rubbing alcohol? I'm having the same problem with my XPS 8700. The computer powers on after quite a few pushes of the button. It does seem like the most logical first step in diagnosing the problem would be the power button.

No Events found!