Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

March 21st, 2018 11:00

XPS 8700, 3rd party memory, blue screen

After upgrading my system with 2x4GB of Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1600MHz, I'm getting blue screens with the handles IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED and SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED all time. It varies between hours and minutes, I can get them anytime. I've already clean installed windows 10 and even went back to windows 7, reinstalled all drivers, I've run memtest86 with no errors, so I'm stuck. This memory shouldn't be uncompatible since it's 1.5V, same frequency and is DDR3 like the ones which came with the XPS 8700.

Here are some that happened today. I'm looking forward to some answers.

March 21st, 2018 12:00

BlueScreenView_2018-03-21_16-08-20.png

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

To both posters--graphics can be seen only by you. That feature has not been implemented yet. Dell is working on it. In the meantime we need actual text to see all the info.

We see a faded yellow triangle where a picture should be. Look at each other's post to see it.

I've updated the first post then. Ignore the second. I can't even turn on the PC because of the constant crashes

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

March 22nd, 2018 11:00

Need more details:

• Did you add the new 2x 4GB RAM to the old or replace some/all of the old RAM with new?
  • How much total RAM is installed when it won't work? This system supports these RAM configs: 4GB, 8GB, 12GB, 16GB, 24GB and 32GB. Any other config can cause problems.
  • Pull out all the current RAM and revert to the original config using only the old RAM.  Does it boot now?
  • If the PC boots, it's possible the new RAM isn't compatible, even if the specs match
  • Remove old RAM and install only the 2x 4GB new RAM in the correct slots: Slots with matching color retention clips, starting with slot 1 which is the second  slot from the CPU. 8 GB is a supported config so if the PC has problems, the RAM probably isn't compatible.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

March 22nd, 2018 13:00

In general, you can mix different brands of RAM in the same PC. (I have 2 Samsung and 2 Crucial modules in this PC, each brand in a different channel). But it appears the 2 brands you have aren't compatible with each other.

Mixing one Kingston and one Smart Modular in the same channel isn't going to work because -even if these brands were compatible- the modules aren't identical. And you need identical modules in a channel to run DDR RAM correctly.

So I guess you have to return the new RAM -if possible- or buy another 2x 4 GB of the Kingston, and try to sell the Smart Modular on eBay...?

EDIT: Unless you have a defective motherboard, you should be able to use all 4 RAM slots at the same time, assuming all RAM is compatible, and you have one of the supported total RAM configs.

March 22nd, 2018 13:00

Well, the PC came with 2x4GB modules of smart modular, and my upgrade was also 2x4GB modules of Kingston HyperX. So I had 16GB, mixing the old ram and the new one.

So, I've removed the old memories (smart modular is the brand) and I kept the kingston ones. no blue screens. I've searched and found that some people had the same problem and it was resolved by doing this same thing, the memories don't work together when they are together, you can only keep memories of one brand.

But, I will try to test something that I don't think someone has tested (at least by what I searched), that is: I'll change the slots so that the kingston memory and the smart modular go in the same channel (putting one module of the kingston memory in black and one of smart modular in another) and see if it works. I'll update this probably tomorrow to answer this.

I also need to try if the problem occurs when putting memories in more than 2 slots, which would mean you can only put 2 modules on the XPS 8700, even if it has 4 slots.

March 28th, 2018 10:00

Ok, After using the 4 sticks in single channel only (putting 2 sticks together) I can assure the problem is fixed. So changing the slots solved the problem for me, if anyone has the same problem it might solve too.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 29th, 2018 09:00

Glad it is fixed. For other XPS 8700 owners...

Which sticks are in the white clip slots?
Which sticks are in the black clip slots?

* Download and install the free CPU-Z
* Open the SPD tab
* Under Slot 1, provide the following =
Module Size
Max Bandwidth
Manufacturer
Part Number
Serial Number
* Change to Slot 2. Provide the same data
* Change to Slot 3. Provide the same data
* Change to Slot 4. Provide the same data

1 Message

May 23rd, 2018 14:00

Hi, I am having trouble with my Dell XPS8700, it initially had 16 gb of RAM (4x 4GB modules) but I replaced all the four sticks with Kingston HyperX Fury of 8GB PC3-12800J. Since then I am experiencing BSoD with the error KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. Does anybody know a possible solution?

This are the specs of the RAM sticks:

*********Slot #1
- Size = 8192 MBytes
- Max Band Dell Inc. 0KWVT8 (CPU 1)

My CPU is: Intel Core i7 4790 @ 3.60GHz

Thanks in advance

7 Posts

January 10th, 2019 14:00

having the exact same problem, only difference being the serial numbers.

was 99.5% confident this memory would be compatible.

hoping someone knowledgeable can give this thread a fresh look, as the last reply was not answered. is it possible there is a tweak that can be done to the memory timing that will help? i'm grasping at straws, obviously. 

i will reinstall the old sticks, but is it best to contact kingston about this, or will they just say it must be one of my drivers, etc.? will dig a bit to see if this is a more widely known issue. thx for reading. 

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 10th, 2019 15:00

@gbrindel wrote:

having the exact same problem, only difference being the serial numbers.

was 99.5% confident this memory would be compatible.

hoping someone knowledgeable can give this thread a fresh look, as the last reply was not answered. is it possible there is a tweak that can be done to the memory timing that will help? i'm grasping at straws, obviously. 

i will reinstall the old sticks, but is it best to contact kingston about this, or will they just say it must be one of my drivers, etc.? will dig a bit to see if this is a more widely known issue. thx for reading. 

Need more info:

• Is this an XPS 8700?
  • How much RAM did you have?
  • How much did you add?
  • Are you using a supported RAM configuration for this model?
  • Exactly what BSOD are you getting?
  • Version of Windows?
  • What happens when you only use the old RAM?
  • What happens when you only use the new RAM (in same slots originally occupied by the old RAM)?

There are no options to adjust memory times on Dell PCs.  

No Events found!