Highlighted
Time Lord
Bronze

XPS 8700, A12 BIOS, sluggish performance

Made a big mistake installing the A12 bios. My computer is very sluggish and performance is terrible now. It won't let me reinstall the A11 bios as that feature to downgrade has been removed in the A12 bios. Bad move Dell. There's nothing in the bios now since A12 was installed to allow me to return to the A11 or allow it to be reinstalled. Anyone know a way of fixing this boat anchor and get the A11 bios back? 

0 Kudos
40 Replies
Mary G
Diamond

Re: XPS 8700 A12 Bios PROBLEM

The previous bios is available on the download page. You click on the new bios name on the download page and choose older versions. No guarantee that downgrading will work or even solve the problems.

Here it is-- http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=TDDNW

0 Kudos
Time Lord
Bronze

The new A12 bios won't let me downgrade to an earlier version. Dell really got me this time. Sorry I trusted them.

0 Kudos
mvsoske
Copper

I agree, big problem! I did the same thing and it won't let me downgrade to A11. Sluggish, slow, delayed response. And, the BIOS update was listed as "Urgent"! This is giving me headaches. Would really hope that tech support would realize this and provide as solution, fast!

0 Kudos

Prior to installing A12 BIOS, did you go into the A11 BIOS, open each screen and write down the current settings, then compare those to the settings in A12?

Examples =
Advanced- Performance Tuning. Set to Normal or OC1 or OC2?
Advanced- Processor Configuration. All set to Enabled except for "Limit CPUID Value"

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message:
Dell Monitor Service Tag number, 20 digit S/N, A0x revision
Dell PC Service Tag number

Drivers and Downloads
Driver order

0 Kudos
mvsoske
Copper

How do you do that?  I didn't as I never had to do that with past updates when notified by the Dell Update app.  Is there any recourse now?

0 Kudos
AGM_NYC
Bronze

Dear Dell,

Indeed whatever fix was supposed to resolve the " Intel Reboot issue ", the new bios made thing much worst.

I had posted on the Intel communities board a slow boot issue i was having with my Raid-5 setup. Link is: https://communities.intel.com/thread/122888

Intel recommanded i upgrade to Bios A12. My slow boot went from 4 minutes to 25 minutes.

Only way to have a decent boot time is to remove the Raid. 

Dell, how can we fix all this mess ?

Thanks

Alex

0 Kudos

How do you do that?
* Do you mean enter BIOS? If yes, restart, press F2.

Is there any recourse now?
* No. The A12 was locked to not allow back flashing to older versions.

Dell, how can we fix all this mess?
* I have sent an email to the platform team. Most likely all you can do is await a new BIOS release. Even if they started today, it will take time to write a new BIOS. They first have to replicate the issue in house on their XPS 8700. Then move on to a fix.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

Drivers and Downloads
Driver order

Copper

Re: XPS 8700, A12 BIOS, sluggish performance

I need Dell to provide a link so I can go back to Bios A11.  I can't wait for them to realize they have caused a serious slowdown with their A12 Bios update.  I have 2 Dell XPS 8700 and the one without the upgrade will run a simple virus scan about 10 times faster.  Please don't Drag this on and on.

Re: XPS 8700, A12 BIOS, sluggish performance

As you can see from the earlier post, going "back" to an older version was not possible.
"I did the same thing and it won't let me downgrade to A11."

All you can do is await a new BIOS release.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

Drivers and Downloads
Driver order

0 Kudos