Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

6 Posts

July 14th, 2019 12:00

XPS 8700 BIOS Update Questions

I'm getting a new RTX 2060 Super to replace the GTX 970 I've had for 4 years now but reading around it sounds like I'll likely have to update the BIOS since I'm still running A10 and the latest is A13. Question is I've never updated the BIOS on a computer before and it sounds pretty scary and I've added a lot of parts to this computer since its factory state, one of them being that I moved Windows from the HDD the computer came with over to an SSD.

Is there a chance that a non-dell power supply, gpu, and SSD could interfere with a BIOS update? Should I update or just see if the new GPU will work with A10 first?

6 Posts

July 14th, 2019 15:00

Thanks for the response, I'll update the BIOS to A13 before I install the new card. And my current PSU is 620w which as far as I've read is enough for an RTX 2060 Super.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 14th, 2019 15:00

Those BIOS updates are to fix some Intel security issues. BIOS updates are supposed to be cumulative so you should be able to go directly from A10 to A13.

Do NOT let SupportAssist manage the update for you. Manually download the A13 .exe file onto your desktop from the support page. Then close all open apps and open windows. And temporarily disable your antiviral app too.

After that's done, right-click the downloaded A13 .exe file and "Run as Administrator". Do not interrupt the update or turn the PC off. And avoid running it when there are thunderstorms in your area. When the PC reboots, make sure your antiviral app gets re-enabled.

And read Dell's policy about failed BIOS updates for PCs that aren't under warranty, since I presume yours is no longer covered...

Do you know the new PSU is adequate for that new video card? And you may have to turn off Secure Boot in BIOS setup when you install that after-market card.

If it were my PC, I'd do the BIOS update before swapping video cards. So at least you're updating BIOS with a setup you know works...

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 15th, 2019 10:00

You're welcome. Post back and let us know how it goes...

No Events found!