Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 25th, 2018 03:00

XPS 8700, CPU heatsink and fan, upgrade, Arctic Freezer 33

Since most of the other threads I've found had confusing and poor quality replies, here's the answer I've found and confirmed.

The Arctic freezer 33 is mentioned in this video as the drop in solution as the concern was the non standard mounting plate might not fit otherwise.  It comes with the correct screws to screw into the preexisting backplate.

Mentioned in this upgrade video

Only buy the esports edition if you feel like zip tying the fans because the clip is a different design and adds just enough height to prevent the side panel from closing.

7 Posts

February 26th, 2018 14:00

Ok, a video is a thousand words, this shows the installation process up close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmY5qQOFvTY

The non e-sports wire is not as tall but reaches the outer screw holes of the fan, that is the likely difference.

screen caps from other youtube reviews of the clips

freezer 33 clip possibly lower clearancefreezer 33 clip possibly lower clearanceesports version sticks up slightly too faresports version sticks up slightly too far

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 26th, 2018 08:00

I am confused by your posting. Please provide a direct sales link to the after market cooler that "out of box" DOES screw into the XPS 8700 backplate.

7 Posts

February 26th, 2018 11:00

This one

Arctic Freezer 33 – Semi passive Tower CPU cooler for Intel 115X

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WV898Y1/

I bought the esports one version instead which looks the same but a minor difference in how the clip length causes a bit of trouble with fan mounting.  The original white version holds the fans outer hole, the eports clip holds the inner hole and is just tall enough to hit the side panel.  The dimensions should be otherwise identical.

Comes with several bags of screws for the mounts, the finer screws fit.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 27th, 2018 04:00

Awesome stuff. Thanks.

March 4th, 2018 21:00

Wrong, wrong, wrong.  On the basis of this review, I purchased an Arctic Freezer 33 (regular, not the sports version) for my XPS 8700 that I upgraded to i7-4790k.  The copper tubes on top of the cooler are about 1/4" too long and interfere with the standard XPS 8700 case.  The fit is also very snug around the memory banks if you have all four banks filled.  I have Ballistic memory with small "fins" on top of the memory sticks.

My solution was not to ditch the Arctic Freezer 33, since I already have it and because the cooler that came with the i7 doesn't use screws which are needed with the XPS 8700 motherboard backplate. I am going to cut out a rectangle in the side of the case and let the tip of the cooler stick out.  Like a supercharger on a hotrod I guess.  The machine is 4 years old and I don't really care how it looks at this point.  

In terms of cooling, the Arctic 33 seems to do the job.  I installed per the Arctic instructions, including application of the thermal compound, and stressed the CPU using the CPU-Z utility for a few minutes.  Temps on all four cores went from 33 C to 62 C and stayed there.  I believe Intel says you are safe up to 80 C or so.

I have 32 GB RAM and 2 TB of Samsung EVO SSDs and host 5 server VMs on the 8700. The machine had an i5-4460 CPU that lacked hyper threading and I found a good deal on an i7-4790k so thought I'd upgrade to get a bit more mileage out of the 8700. 

I recommend the CPU and the cooler - but be aware you will need to install an old school hood scoop on your rig to make it work. 

Cheers 

7 Posts

March 5th, 2018 01:00

The 8700 I have is a i7-4770.  Either there is variation with the cases or there is variation with the coolers, while snug it should have fitted, this is very strange indeed.

The freezer is hotter than the esports as it takes its time spinning up the fan where as the esports fan curve is more aggressive and never goes passive.

Are you sure its the tubes and not the fan clip, for all I know they used the redesigned clip for both models now.

This is how it looks in mine, its a close shave but it does fit.This is how it looks in mine, its a close shave but it does fit.I managed to fit 9 drives in there btw, 4 are ssds/msata so its a bit of a cheat.
Also there seems to be unofficial screw holes for a regular harddrive at the bottom front of the case, if you have a power cable which lets the drive lay flat.

And yes where there is a will there is a way, I've added fans on over crowded cases by mounting them outside the hole with a wire grill.

7 Posts

March 16th, 2018 20:00

The final solution, because the 92mm exhaust wasn't cutting it for my setup

Installed side intake fans to force air flow through the case.

External power adapter to make removal simple, also lets you turn it off for the winter.

CRJ DC Power Supply For 2 x 3/4-Pin 12V Computer PC Case Fans

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CRJ-DC-Power-Supply-For-2-x-3-4-Pin-12V-Computer-PC-Case-Fans/332445779286

Fans used, 120mm Antec because it includes an actual speed selector switch and not a length of extension wire with a resistor heatshrinked in, and the silicon rubber contact points keep things quiet. The small holes also make it easy to just use a zip screw if necessary.  Just thread the zip tie straight through and use the latch from another to top it off.  Mounted externally because there is no space inside.  Just be sure to make the cuts a bit from the edge to avoid the raised ridge on the underside of the side panel.

http://store.antec.com/enclosure-fans/truequiet-120-ufo-blue.html

How to dremel a hole correctly video

Dremel Techniques For Case Modding

XPS mod complete IMG_8550.jpgXPS mod spray IMG_8470.jpg

Won't win points for airflow nit pickers, but it works well enough as a mildly positive pressure case.

with fans on low

~30C idle

under 50C load

7 Posts

April 23rd, 2018 21:00

and finally, upgraded the ram, to easily clear the 120mm fan you need low profile memory.

After much research found out this system is finicky with ram, anything below 11ns won't run at 1600mhz from reports, so you have to use system specific memory, either from corsair and their parts search or kingston

https://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search?DeviceType=&Mfr=DEL&Line=XPS&Model=84376

and that is the module I bought, its so short it doesn't rise above the dimm slot side clips.

So anyone looking at performance ram used for cheap on ebay, don't, it probably won't work.

2 Posts

August 15th, 2018 19:00

I just installed a 33 plus on my xps8500 motherboard (in a new case). The fans run non-stop (not passively). Anyone else have the same?

2 Posts

December 21st, 2018 14:00

I've got a Zalman CNPS 9300 AT, believe it or not, on my i7 4790.  Idle temps are low 20s (C) and during gaming or other CPU-intensive operations, temps rise to mid-50s (C).

I installed this Zalman because it was rated higher than the stock Intel HSF combo.  Now, three years later, I realize that the CNPS 9300 AT is spec'd for socket 775.

It fits the XPS 8700 motherboard and I was able to use the existing backplate.  Amazing now--looking back--that it works / worked!

No Events found!