Start a Conversation

Unsolved

TC

24 Posts

September 1st, 2020 11:00

XPS 8700, GeForce GTX 1650, restart

Hello, I have an XPS 8700 and I recently installed a GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER. It has been running great, other than this problem. When I first start the computer it will boot and restart 1-3 times before stopping. My PSU is 460 watt and the GPU is recommended 350. I am guessing the problem is I forgot to update something? Like BIOS or something in CPU. I have the NVIDIA game ready drivers as well. 

Specs

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790 @ 3.60GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0KWVT8 (CPU 1)
Graphics
Pixio PX247 (1920x1080@144Hz)
S27E510 (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER (PNY)
Storage
931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1ER162 (SATA ) 

September 1st, 2020 12:00

@Mary G 

Supplemental power connector? It required a 6 pin connector which I had one available.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

That card has a supplemental power connector that I don't think your computer has. Trade it in for GeForce  GTX1030 instead. That works great on the xps 8700 -- cheaper too.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

Could be the PSU failing, even if it's big enough for the new GPU.

Changed the motherboard battery lately?

Have you run diagnostics from the F12 menu at boot?

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

September 2nd, 2020 10:00

Never changed it on a 7 year old computer? Buy a CR 2032 coin cell battery at any store for about $2.  Manual has the directions.

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-8700_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf

September 2nd, 2020 10:00

@RoHe, It won't boot into diagnostics with F12, I tried it multiple times. Is there another diagnostics I could run? I've never changed the motherboard battery. 

September 2nd, 2020 11:00

Just replaced motherboard battery, restarted after first boot.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

September 2nd, 2020 11:00

@Tyler Corrington   Sorry, guess I misunderstood...

Can you run the diagnostics now?

EDITED

September 2nd, 2020 13:00

@RoHe No F12 diagnostics. I've tried running the performance monitor diagnostics and they never finish loading.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

September 2nd, 2020 15:00

I don't know about the XPS 8700 but some older Dells had a diagnostic utility partition. If you have reinitialized or replaced your original disk drive that partition no longer exists and maybe the reason you can't run the diagnostics.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

September 2nd, 2020 15:00

Remove the new video card and put the old video card back in, assuming it works, and see what happens when you boot.

Or just remove the new video card and connect the monitor to either the onboard Intel Graphics HDMI or DisplayPort connector. NOTE: You have to physically remove the add-in video card before the onboard video ports will work.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 2nd, 2020 17:00

NON DELL cards will require secure boot OFF and CSM on. BIOS may also require update before any TURING UEFI cards work.

http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/xps-8700.html

• Description Version
      Dell XPS 8700 System BIOS
      This package provides the Dell System BIOS update and is supported on Dell XPS 8700 for Windows and DOS Operating Systems.More details
      A13
      This package provides the Dell System BIOS update and is supported on Dell XPS 8700 for Windows and DOS Operating Systems.More details
      A12
      A11
      A10
      A08
      A06
      A03
      A04
      This package provides the BIOS Update on Dell XPS 8700 running the following Operating Systems: Windows and DOS.More details
      A01

•  

September 2nd, 2020 18:00

@speedstep , The card I got has Turing. My BIOS version is A11, is it a good idea to update to A12 or A13? How do I change secure boot and CSM settings?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 3rd, 2020 01:00

https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln311108/secure-boot-overview?lang=en

When installing an after-market graphics card into a  Windows PC with Secure Boot enabled, the system may not boot.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3156

Answer ID 3156
  Published 10/25/2012 03:12 PM
  Updated 10/26/2012 02:00 PM

When installing an after-market graphics card into a
 Windows  with Secure Boot enabled, the system may not boot.

Secure boot is enabled by default on Windows
PCs. When an after-market graphics card not containing UEFI-enabled firmware with DELL Certificate.
(VBIOS) is installed into a motherboard with secure boot enabled in the SBIOS,
the system may not boot. The majority of retail graphics cards Not DELL OEM do not contain UEFI-enabled Certificate.

In order to get the PC to boot with a graphics card that
does not contain a UEFI-enabled firmware the end-user must first disable the
secure boot feature in the system's SBIOS before installing the graphics card.

Note: 
Some system SBIOS's incorporate a feature called compatibility boot. These
systems will detect a non-UEFI-enabled firmware VBIOS and allow the user to
disable secure boot and then proceed with a compatibility boot. If the system
contains a system SBIOS the supports compatibility boot, the user will need to
disable secure boot when asked during boot process

Instructions for manually disabling secure boot:

1) Power down the system

2) Remove the NVIDIA
Add-in card

3) Boot the system using
integrated graphics

4) Enter CMOS settings.
CMOS settings can usually be accessed during boot, typically by pressing one of
Press  F2 then F12 over and over,  (depends on the BIOS)

5) Set Secure Boot to
disabled  (Its under Security section of Bios)

6) If there is an option,
set CSM (or compatibility or legacy mode) to enabled.

7) Save the new settings

Power down the system

9) Install the NVIDIA
Add-in card

10) The system should now
boot

Other Commands To Help Windows Boot Properly

These commands fix Boot files which tell the computer where the operating system is located. Checking that they are not corrupt, damaged, or missing solves many Windows boot related problems. Try these commands in the command prompt.

1. Press Windows Key+X > Click Command Prompt (Admin)
  2. In the Command Prompt window, type the command > press Enter
  • Bootrec /scanos
    It scans for Windows installations on the hard drive. This is useful when the boot manager does not list all available Windows installations.
  • Bootrec /fixmbr
    It writes the Master Boot Record (MBR) on the system partition without rewriting the partition table.
  • Bootrec /fixboot
    It writes a new boot sector on the system partition to replace a corrupt boot sector which might be causing startup problems.
  • Bootrec /RebuildBcd
    It also replaces boot files to fix errors caused by corrupt files.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 3rd, 2020 01:00

Code 34 is one of the several Device Manager error codes. This error code indicates that a hardware device on your PC is not compatible due to being a FAKE card.

A14 is recommended bios.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=6f29d

Code 34 “Windows cannot determine the settings for this device.”
Real cards will not have any issues UNLESS the bios is very old on the motherboard.
There were a few updates related to NVIDIA cards.

Bios updates should be done in windows 7 or via the recovery method as you can easily brick the machine.
You also cannot jump from A01 to A14 in one step.

BIOS Recovery via HDD BIOS Auto-Recovery on Boot Result
Enabled Enabled BR2 from HDD/USB and BR3 on Boot
Enabled Disabled BR2 from HDD/USB only

How do I initiate BIOS Recovery on a Dell desktop or all-in-one PC?

1. Restart the computer.

2. Press and hold the CTRL key + ESC key on the keyboard until the BIOS Recovery page appears.

3. On the BIOS Recovery screen, select Reset NVRAM (if available) and press the Enter key. Select Disabled and press the Enter key if you wish to save the current BIOS settings.

4. Select Recover BIOS and press the Enter key to start the recovery process.

• Save the BIOS.exe file to your desktop. Copy to FAT32 USB 2.0 flash drive.

• Rename the XPS_8700_BIOS_A14.EXE file to BIOS_IMG.rcv changing the filename and file extension.

• Creating the USB key:

1. Plug the USB key into the PC.

2. Press the Windows key + E to open File Explorer (also known as Windows Explorer).

3. Right-click on the USB drive and click Format.

4. Change the File system to FAT32.

5. Check the box next to Quick Format.

6. Click Start to being formatting the USB key.

7. Copy the BIOS file to the USB key.

8. Open Command prompt in administrator mode.

• In Windows 10, Windows 8.1 or Windows 8 - Press the Windows key + X on the keyboard to open a power user menu and select Command Prompt (Admin)

• In Windows 7 or Windows Vista - Click the Start button and type command prompt in the search box. Right-click cmd in the search results and select Run as administrator.

9. In the command prompt window, type cd x: and press the Enter key, where 'x' is the drive letter of the USB key.

You can find the drive letter of the USB key in File Explorer (also known as Windows Explorer)

10. Type dir and press the Enter key on the keyboard. You should see the name of the downloaded BIOS file.

11. Type ren xxxxx.exe BIOS_IMG.rcv and press the Enter key.

(Replace the xxxxx with the name of the downloaded BIOS file.)

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 10th, 2020 08:00

Hard Drive dying.

Check event logs for NTFS errors and Windows updates reverting.

Event ID 55 error: "Event ID 55 Ntfs the File System Structure on the Disk is Corrupt and Unusable.

No Events found!