Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 26th, 2018 09:00

XPS 8700, GeForce GTX 745, E2715H, HDMI out port not recognized

Hi all,

I've been having an issue with my XPS 8700 where it won't recognize that I have my TV connected via HDMI. My XPS 8700 has the Nvidia GeForce GTX 745. Based on my research, it should theoretically support three monitors. Right now, I only have one monitor connected using DVI. When I plug in the HDMI cable and turn my TV on, nothing happens. I have checked to make sure my drivers are all up to date. I have tested this particular HDMI cable and TV using my Inspiron 17R, which has no issues at all using the TV as a second screen via HDMI.

Any suggestions for diagnosing my problem? Thank you!

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

February 26th, 2018 12:00

Well, I could not find a good picture, so I will try to describe it as best as I can. Looking at the back of the computer case the power supply is at the top, and there is a panel below the power supply on the left side of the case. This is where the integrated graphics connections are along with USB, audio, etc. The GeForce GTX 745 video card is located in the first PCI-Express x16 card slot (top slot of 4 slots) below the panel near the bottom of the case. You should see probably three video connections there, a DVI, a HDMI, and a VGA. I am not sure about the three connections because video cards sometimes have different connections even in the same model but manufactured by different companies. 

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 27th, 2018 05:00

To summarize for other XPS 8700 owners. Below is the rear of the XPS 8700.

* If you have an added video card installed (11,12,13), you cannot use the onboard Intel HD 8 HDMI and 9 DP out ports. You must connect the monitor or TV to the added video card installed (11,12,13)

XPS8700Rear.jpg

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 26th, 2018 09:00

* What specific monitor is connected via the DVI? Does that monitor have an HDMI in port to test?
* Turn the TV and XPS 8700 off
* Disconnect the DVI cable from the GTX 745. This leaves only the following =
GTX 745 HDMI out port --> HDMI to HDMI cable --> TV HDMI in port
* Turn the TV on, then the XPS 8700. Does an image appear on the TV?

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

February 26th, 2018 10:00

Your image in your post is not being displayed. 

in your original setup, did you right click on the desktop and select "Display settings" and in Display settings did you select either "Extend desktop to this display" or "Duplicate desktop on 1 and 2". Also you will need to go to Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Sound and configure the sound to output on the TV.

23 Posts

February 26th, 2018 10:00

Thank you for the quick reply! It is a Dell LCD Monitor E2715Hf

I tried the steps you suggested. When I turned on the XPS 8700 with only the HDMI connected, I got this message:Capture.PNG

I don't completely know what it is referring to. I turned the XPS off and reconnected the DVI cable and disconnected the HDMI cable.

23 Posts

February 26th, 2018 11:00

Sorry about that. The message reads:

"Attention: Unsupported video configuration detected

Action is required

This computer has an add-in graphics card, but the monitor cable is plugged into the integrated video connector. To attach the monitor cable to the add-in graphics card:

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Plug the monitor cable into the add-in graphics card connector. This may require a video adapter or video adapter cable (provided with the system)

3. Turn on the computer.

This message should not appear after completing these steps. For more information or help, please refer to the system documentation.

Please press power button to turn off system."

I tried Display settings, but I still can't detect the TV.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

The message says you are connected to the integrated graphics. Is the HDMI cable connected to the GeForce GTX 745?

23 Posts

Hmm...I'm not sure. I only see one HDMI-in port on the back of the XPS 8700. How can I connect the HDMI cable directly to the GTX 745?

23 Posts

I see, thank you!

23 Posts

Great explanation! Clearly, I am a special kind of dummy...I did not see the HDMI connection literally next to the DVI connection from behind. For whatever reason, there is some other HDMI input above that, and it's the one I saw first. I apologize for going in circles over that, but my TV is now working as a second monitor, just like I expect it to!

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

Glad it worked out for you. The other HDMI connection above it is for the integrated graphics. Integrated graphics is usually automatically disabled when a discrete graphics card is installed. 

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

February 27th, 2018 07:00

Chris, I like your picture and hopes it helps others.

No Events found!