Highlighted
field500
1 Copper

XPS 8700, Nvidia GPU issue?

Hi

I have a XPS 8700 (I7, 32gb RAM) and it came fitted from Dell with an AMD R9 270 GPU.  This failed earlier in 2019 so I replaced it with a Nvidia 1050.

Now this works nearly perfectly - the problem I have is my 2k monitor periodically goes off and comes back on after a second or two.  This can happen several times a minute and then not at all for a week or so.

I have had the monitor in question replaced under warranty, but the problem persists.

I decided the GPU must be faulty so I purchased a new GTX 1650.  Initially this worked very well, but within the first couple of hours, the PC rebooted several times.

I removed and re-seated the GPU and undated the drivers but the same issue - I guess that the PSU can not cope with the GTX 1650. 

What is the easiest GPU replacement for what was an AMD R9 270?  I do not use the machine for gaming but i do use it extensively for Photoshop.

The actual machine is now 5 years old, so i will be looking around for a replacement at some point, but a cheap GPU to tide me over would be good.  I am assuming the issue i have with the 1050 card is also power related, but not as bad as with the 1650 !

Many thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JOcean
5 Rhenium

Re: XPS 8700, Nvidia GPU issue?

These forum posts should have all the information you need. But it all depends on your PSU wattage as the post spells out.

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS B450-F Gaming with Ryzen 5 2600X
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575 and Latitude E5430
0 Kudos
Vic384
4 Beryllium

I do not think your graphics card problems are power related. The original power supply in the XPS 8700 can supply 460 watts. Both graphics cards you tried recommend 300 watts system power, so your power supply should be adequate.

The reboot problems could be because of overheating, failing power supply, software issues, memory issues, etc. You could first try running the built-in diagnostics: https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln115162/resolve-hardware-issues-with-built-in-and-on...

0 Kudos
Rocket20
1 Copper

Disagree. The symptoms suggest an intermittent lack of power. If the cards ads recommend 300 watts and you have a 450w supply, what are you missing here? How about all the other power consuming hardware? You forget about the HD? The Mobo? The memory? The mouse/keyboard? The USB peripherals? The network adaptor? The fans? OK, I think I made my point clear.

0 Kudos
Rocket20
1 Copper

Upgrade power supply. When you upgraded the graphics card did you check the power requirement increase of the new card? My guess is the new cards all require more juice, and since prefab PCs are all build to exacting standards, you only had an absolute minimum of reserve power for what you originally had. If you added anything whatsoever, or upgraded to something that draws more power, you probably maxed out the available power, so your PC is constantly struggling to provide enough for it's needs.  In short....bump your 350w up to a 450w and your problems are gone. At least that is my 2 cents. Just remember, whenever you change the hardware configuration (and/or add extra peripherals) to a factory built, mass produced (and especially a budget priced) PC, and then experience random reboots, freezes, sluggishness, and the like, you almost definitely can suspect a lack of sufficient power and installing a new supply rated at 100w over your current one. I added a HD, a fan, a new graphics card, and a few power drawing USB devices, and my box was acting up every time my system was even slightly stressed. 

0 Kudos
Vic384
4 Beryllium

It is not the card ads that recommend 300 watts, it is the NVIDIA card specs (i.e. NVIDIA GTX 1650) and the recommended power is the recommended system power. The cards specs do not state that the graphics card itself requires 300 watts, in fact, if you had bothered to look the card requires 75 watts. The footnote in the system power recommendation states, "Recommendation is made based on PC configured with an Intel Core i7 3.2 GHz processor. Pre-built system may require less power depending on system configuration." 

Also if you had looked the original card, the AMD R9 270, consumes around 150 watts, twice as much as the new graphics cards the OP tried. I hope this explains my point; do some fact checking before replying.