Unsolved

R

1 Message

January 2nd, 2019 14:00

XPS 8700, PSM, will not boot

Dell 8700 XPS manuf 10/2014

Two    24” Dell S2409W monitors with DVI cables

Windows 10 home.

Last few months after reboot I got two black screens. Could see the mouse pointer on #2 but nothing on #1. I had to disconnect monitor #1 cable from monitor, then reconnect to complete the boot up.

Recently on start up, after a few seconds it would flash the Dell logo for a few seconds, then after more time it would show the “going to power saving mode” message and everything would go black. The F2 and F12 keys worked so the monitors and cables seem ok.

After ‘research’ on the web I removed the video card and the four memory cards and ‘erased’ the contacts. It then began going directly to the ‘power save mode’ with no messages.

I tried another video card, same results. Changed the CMOS battery. Now it shows the power save message and goes to black (only monitor #1 connected).

Richard N Park

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 2nd, 2019 16:00

Need more info:

• Version of Windows?
  • How are monitors connected? Both to an add-in video card, both to onboard Intel HD Graphics, one monitor to each?
  • What ports are you using on PC for each monitor and what port on each monitor?
  • What happens if you only connect one monitor (try each alone, and swap video cables too), to a port on the add-in video card, assuming you have an add-in card?
  • What happens if you swap monitor 1 and monitor 2?
  • If you reboot and immediately press F2, can you open BIOS setup? Make sure the Intel Multi-Display option is enabled, but don't change anything else. Save the change before exiting setup.
  • Sure the "replacement" video card is compatible? Did you reset BIOS after swapping for that card to make sure BIOS sees it correctly? Note: resetting BIOS will disable the Intel Multi-Display option so make sure you re-enable it.
  • Reboot and immediately press F12. Assuming you get to the menu, run all the diagnostics including RAM and extended hard drive tests. Copy error messages, if any.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 3rd, 2019 06:00

If none of RoHe instruction help, the 2014 motherboard JTTGY is faulty. To be sure, test the monitors and video cards in another PC.

No Events found!