Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

1 Message

April 14th, 2019 20:00

XPS 8700, RTX 2060 GPU upgrade issues

Hey everyone. Decided to update my GPU. I Bought a new 650 Watt power supply and an RTX 2060. The problem is that my PC now randomly shuts off. Prior to shut off I hear the fans spin up to max and then the screen goes black. Nothing I do reproduces the issue it just appears to happen randomly. It happened the first time right after I installed the 2060 and played a couple of different games for a few minutes just as a test. The last several black screens have occurred with either normal browsing of the internet or when the computer is just idle and I'm not utilizing it at all. Any help would be much appreciated!

Some PC info:

System Model XPS 8700

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB

BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A11, 7/9/2015

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 15th, 2019 10:00

Remove the new 2067 video card and go back to the original.  See if works OK or if it still is having a problem.  That will isolate to whether the new video card is causing the problem (for whatever reason).  If it still does it with the old video card and since you were inside to replace the power supply, along with the new video card, check all connections and check the CPU cooler and the thermal paste may have been compromised and needs replacing. 

September 28th, 2019 19:00

Hello, I have the same issue, did you fix it? I cant find any solution, thanks in advance.

October 6th, 2019 09:00

Final update, I found a solution with nvida support, Rtx 2060 xc and dell xps 8700 runs perfect but you need to make some changes, step1/ go to windows power settings and change to high performance. 2/  turn off and sleep put never in both options. 3/ In advance settings put PSIe in off mode. 4/ And finally in NVIDIA control panel, in global settings / power management settings/ change to high performance, this should fix your problem. Hope this could be usefull for someone who has this issue. Happy gaming.

1 Message

June 21st, 2020 21:00

Can I just say, you saved me a lot of hassle. So I would like to thank you, stranger. I put an RTX 2060 in my 8700 rig knowing that it would fit within the 460W power range, but it started randomly restarting. And with your quick solution, it stopped doing that. So again, cheers mate.

3 Posts

July 13th, 2020 02:00

Hi! I am also interesting about upgrading my video card from the original GTX 750Ti that came with my XPS 8700. Could you please provide any feedback about performance and or any other issues that you had after the installation? I've read that probably PSU is not enough. 

Also, did you notice any bottleneck with other computer component? It's a 7 year old computer, but I would rather spend something here to improve my graphic card rather than looking for a new PC, as it works great for any other office tasks.

Thanks in advance! 

July 13th, 2020 06:00

In my case, I change the PSU with a 600w (evga 600bq bronze) but seams that it isnt necessary, with the 460w looks like its enough. bottleneck? Maybe, Im not sure, I cant give you the an answer about it because I need to compare with other PC. Im sure that with a better pc you will get better performance for your graphic card, I can only tell you that the improvement is real, now I can play games with high graphics quality, the change is huge, I can play modern games in 60 fps and more in high. So, the question is, Im happy with the new rtx 2060 xc in my computer? Yes I am, dont need to spend more money in other Pc, my games and 3d software runs fantastic..... why not? 1 year now until the update, no issues. 

No Events found!