Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

3 Posts

February 22nd, 2019 07:00

XPS 8700, Samsung SSD PM830, issues

My 8700 SE Dell PC has started showing this message, (your system is reporting one or more events, and the data may be at risk). I've tried looking around these forums for some answers but have not found them yet. I tried to googling it and found all sorts of people having similar issues with newer XPS PCs. I have also tried to find a replacement on line but that doesn't seem to exist. I would appreciate any help that I can get from someone in this community on what to do without having to reinstall Windows 10 Pro. Should I find a replacement, can I turn this drive off or uninstall it & still have a working PC? Thank you all so much for your help & advice. 

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

February 22nd, 2019 09:00

Thank you for your message.

Did you start getting this message after a recent Windows update or driver change?

Open device manager & check if there is a red X or an exclamation mark.

Have you disabled IRST or changed any raid settings?

Is there an error recorded in the event viewer?

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

How to locate the service tag

February 22nd, 2019 10:00

Thanks for your quick reply.

Did you start getting this message after a recent Windows update or driver change? - I don't believe so. It's been going on for a couple months & I've been trying to research it.

Open device manager & check if there is a red X or an exclamation mark. - There are no red x or ! in device manager.

Have you disabled IRST or changed any raid settings? - I have not don't anything to this yet. I dee see another person having similar issue & some had advised them to disable that , reboot to see if it shows up, but I'm not doing that.

Is there an error recorded in the event viewer? - I don't see an error in the event viewer for the IRST.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address. - I tried doing this but I couldn't find you. 

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

February 22nd, 2019 11:00

I have sent a private message to you. Please share the system details along with an image of the error message. I will be glad to assist you.

Is the SSD being used as a cache?

Disable all startup items including the anti-virus & reboot the computer. Check if the error comes up.

172 Posts

February 23rd, 2019 17:00

I tried installing two mSATA SSD's in that slot, a 256GB Crucial 550 & 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, both ran very hot (70+C under load, 45+C idle), although all of the surrounding components were running at normal (cool) temps. My concerns were the heat would eventually corrupt data & the life of the drive would be far shorter than a 2.5" model. Tried seeking assistance from Crucial to no avail, the moderator sated that 70C was 'normal' & that I shouldn't be concerned, comparing it to a CPU or GPU getting hot and throttling. I've not had that issue with CPU's for over a decade & never with a GPU. 

Tried a heatsink solution found on eBay, a finned copper block with a soft layer of blue silicone on the back & held in place with rubber band. That dropped temps some, yet still ran 2x warmer than my other installed SSD, a 2.5" 256GB Crucial M550 SSD (at that time), has been upgraded to a 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, see Speccy link in my sig. 

Wished I had ignored that empty slot & just installed a 2nd Crucial M550, as it was in there first. I believe this mSATA slot was used originally as an option to boost performance of 2TB HDD's in certain models via RAID (same with XPS 8900). I spent more cash on that mSATA SSD from the start ($20 more than the cost for the 2.5" of the same model). 

Was tempted to try a 500GB Samsung 860 mSATA on promo for $69.99 new. less than half of what I paid for the Crucial M550, yet backed out. 

Also, took almost 2 times longer for drive images to complete, compared to the installed 2.5" SSD. 

Yes, you can image (backup) the existing drive & install it to the same size or larger mSATA, or for that matter, a less troublesome 2.5" model. That's what I ended up doing when upgrading to the 512GB Samsung Pro, combined both Crucial M550's into one drive. 

Anyway, found the best solution for the mSATA SSD (Crucial), installed in a SYBA 2.5" converter (can be used as SATA or USB drive), then a Rosewill 3.5" to 2.5" converter with fan, installed in a secondary PC, temps are now in line with a 2.5" SSD. At least I got something (at a high cost) out of what I thought to be junk. The second (Samsung 850 EVO), I sold, upgrading a notebook for a friend who had an empty mSATA slot. 

Good Luck with making this work, hope your experience turns out better than mine did.:Smile:

Cat

No Events found!