Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 22nd, 2021 16:00

XPS 8700, W10 DVD Player

DVD Player in W10 on my XPS870 will not play some videos but other. Those it won't play have the TS_VOB file name. I downloaded the Microsoft Free DVD Player and it's only so so with few choices of start/stop or FF.

I downloaded VLC 3.0.1 but it wants total control over any and all DVD formats as well as audio.Quite afew boxes to check/uncheck. I don't want that. All I want is for the player to play any and ALL DVDs-mostly home videos I have. It will play .avi, WMV. WMA, audio files etc just not those VOB files.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 28th, 2021 19:00

I disagree because I own that model cam.  Size of the disc has nothing to do with CSS.

Single Layer: 1.4GB - XP: 20min., SP: 30min., LP: 60min.
Dual Layer: 2.8GB - XP: 36min., SP. 54min., LP: 108min.

Not being able to drag and drop files from the cam or disks was the first issue I had a long time ago. Canon DC320/ DC330 1.07MP DVD Camcorder uses CSS

The MPAA doesn't allow unencrypted media or NTSC analog without macrovision encryption because if they did you could pirate movies in the theatre and movies at home.

DVDs are encrypted by CSS (Content Scramble System) or many other DVD protection technologies such as Region code, UOP (User Operation Prohibition), Sony ArccOS protection, or Disney X-project DRM protection. These technologies are supposed to combat piracy.

So while your computer can read these you cannot drag and drop copy files.

Once DVDs are converted to MP4 files you can drag them to HDD or Flash drive or email them and they just double click and play if you have the codec.

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl837?locale=en_US

Download QuickTime 7.7.9 for Windows

mainstream video and audio formats including MPEG-4/2/1 is the way to go because flash is removed from windows now.

Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec / l3codecp.acm

is also removed.

(The codec) is available in all Windows versions (tipically on Windows\system32), but is not enabled for some legal issue, but it can be unleashed by dealing with windows registry entries.

For x64 systems just do this on windows registry

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\drivers.desc" /v "%SYSTEMROOT%\SysWOW64\l3codecp.acm" /t REG_SZ /d "Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Audio Layer-3 Codec (professional)" /f

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32" /v "msacm.l3acm" /t REG_SZ /d "%SYSTEMROOT%\SysWOW64\l3codecp.acm" /f

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

February 22nd, 2021 16:00

Windows Media Player should do it. However have a look at this web page for further information.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 22nd, 2021 17:00

Your choices are:

- something from Microsoft App Store
- CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra
- VLC.

Personally, I have PowerDVD-Ultra 17 (as I also like the ability to play real plastic Blu-Ray discs). However, VLC is fine for DVD. Yes, it will play (directly ripped to HDD) VIDEO_TS folders.

And I just tried it ... VLC also plays (genuine store-bought movies) plastic discs.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

February 22nd, 2021 17:00

@Co9lColt In Windows 10 you can set the default app based on file extension. Go to All settings / Apps /  Default apps / scroll to the bottom on the right and click on 'Choose default apps by file type' / then associate file types with the apps you wish to use, for example, for a .vob file you could choose VLC Player.

25 Posts

February 28th, 2021 08:00

I had downloaded the VLC player but it wants to control everything, including audio files and there's a lot of boxes to uncheck if you don't want all that. All I wanted VLC to do was to play these VOB files-not everything else audio/video I can currently play.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 28th, 2021 09:00

I had downloaded the VLC player but it wants to control everything, including audio files and there's a lot of boxes to uncheck if you don't want all that. All I wanted VLC to do was to play these VOB files-not everything else audio/video I can currently play.

===============

Not "control everything" just help you by associating with file-types it can play.

Just uncheck them all and it will save your preferences.

You can also play VOB files by loading them in VLC directly, or by File-Explorer right-click context menu.

Don't make it hard friend.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

February 28th, 2021 10:00

@Co9lColt The VLC player does not control everything unless it is the default app music player or video player. You have to make sure in All settings / Apps / Default apps that it is not the default Music player or Video player. Then by clicking on the 'Choose default apps by file type' to can set which file type defaults to the VLC player. You only have to do this once. This article explains how to choose default apps by file type: https://www.vlchelp.com/how-to-make-vlc-the-default-media-player-in-windows-10/

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

February 28th, 2021 14:00

@Co9lColt What file type are the files on your 3 inch DVDs? Do you have a problem with this file type that is not on a 3 inch DVD? Another possibility is that the DVD drive has a problem reading the files on the 3 inch DVDs. Can you copy the files from the DVD to the hard drive and try playing from the hard drive?

25 Posts

Looks like mpeg 1/2. I've never seen that before. snagged a screen shot of it. No otherScreenHunter 2510.jpg disc I have has a file like this.

25 Posts

I don't know  how to copy files from the disc to the HDD.

25 Posts

I downloaded and installed VLC, unchecked the files I didn't want them doing-mp3, wma, mov, mp4 and avi. No problem with those files. For some reason it still wont play the mini 3 inch DVDs I originally did with my old Canon camcorder. It will start but soon freeze frame the video but you can hear the audio continue. It will start again and then freeze the video once again. That happened on various places on one of them and on another I tried. Odd my old Vista machine doesn't do that.

25 Posts

February 28th, 2021 15:00

Look like VIDEO_TS

25 Posts

This is a picture of those files.ScreenHunter 2511.jpg

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

Even though its not supported what you want is QUICKTIME 7 for windows

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl837?locale=en_US

Once thats installed the MPEG2 and MP4 files will play again.

Important: QuickTime 7 for Windows is no longer supported by Apple. New versions of Windows since 2009 have included support for the key media formats, such as H.264 and AAC, that QuickTime 7 enabled. All current Windows web browsers support video without the need for browser plug-ins (HTML5). If you no longer need QuickTime 7 on your PC, follow the instructions for uninstalling QuickTime 7 for Windows.

What's New in QuickTime 7.7.9
QuickTime 7.7.9 contains security updates and is recommended for all QuickTime 7 users on Windows. For information on the security content of this update, please visit this website: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222.

The QuickTime web browser plug-in is no longer installed by default and is removed if you have a previous version of QuickTime on your PC. If you still need this legacy plug-in, you can add it back using the custom setup option in the installer.

QuickTime 7 is for use with Windows Vista or Windows 7. If installed on other versions of Windows, it may not offer full functionality.

Notice to QuickTime 6 Pro users
Installing QuickTime 7 or later will disable the QuickTime Pro functionality in prior versions of QuickTime, such as QuickTime 6. If you are a QuickTime 6 Pro user, see this article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT201691#compatibility before proceeding with this installation.

Post Date: Jan 7, 2016

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

@Co9lColt If you open File Explorer and navigate to the DVD drive you should be able to see folders and files on the DVD. You should be able to copy those files to a folder on your hard drive.

What is the file extension on the file you are trying to play?

No Events found!