old_Bean
2 Bronze

XPS 8700, What causes the C drive (Drive0) to become (Drive 1) when adding HDD?

Hi,

I recently reinstalled W10 on the mSATA C_Drive. It correctly shows as Drive 0.
But when I add a second drive (HDD) the mSATA C_Drive now displays as Drive 1, and the secondary HDD drive has become Drive 0.

What causes this to happen please, and where do I look to correct (probably) my mistake?

Seagate 6tb appears as Drive 0b.png

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Re: XPS8700 - What causes the C drive (Drive0) to become (Drive 1) when adding HDD?

we can't see your pics.

Drive-0 and Drive-1 usually correlate to SATA-channels and are normally irrelevant.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
Vic384
3 Cadmium

Re: XPS8700 - What causes the C drive (Drive0) to become (Drive 1) when adding HDD?

old_Bean
2 Bronze

Thank you Tesla1856,

I repost the picture here, but it shows on my PC, let me know if it still does not show.  I know it does not show if not logged in.  Maybe some limitations of size or similar?

Seagate 6tb appears as Drive 0b.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
old_Bean
2 Bronze

Thank you Vic384,

That's very helpful in getting my head around what is going on and the way Windows assigns the Drive number.
I take it from the fact this has already come up that there is no real way to force a Drive & letter combo.

I guess I am still surprised that my (as yet unformatted) secondary drive gets allocated first, because the main drive is an mSATA - but it is shown listed last in the Dell BIOS... maybe that's why, but I can't see a way to change that order.

mSATA in BIOS menu.png

Just so I don't make a silly mistake would you recommend which port numbers I plug the secondary drive in, and also the DVD ? [ 'cos the mSata is 0 anyway I guess] .  I got the impression that there may be certain combinations that  may cause issues.

Finally, should I format the secondary only when the drives are correct, or can I format straight away ?

0 Kudos