Start a Conversation

Unsolved

O

46 Posts

May 9th, 2018 10:00

XPS 8700, What causes the C drive (Drive0) to become (Drive 1) when adding HDD?

Hi,

I recently reinstalled W10 on the mSATA C_Drive. It correctly shows as Drive 0.
But when I add a second drive (HDD) the mSATA C_Drive now displays as Drive 1, and the secondary HDD drive has become Drive 0.

What causes this to happen please, and where do I look to correct (probably) my mistake?

Seagate 6tb appears as Drive 0b.png

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

May 9th, 2018 11:00

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 9th, 2018 11:00

we can't see your pics.

Drive-0 and Drive-1 usually correlate to SATA-channels and are normally irrelevant.

46 Posts

May 9th, 2018 12:00

Thank you Tesla1856,

I repost the picture here, but it shows on my PC, let me know if it still does not show.  I know it does not show if not logged in.  Maybe some limitations of size or similar?

Seagate 6tb appears as Drive 0b.png

46 Posts

May 9th, 2018 13:00

Thank you Vic384,

That's very helpful in getting my head around what is going on and the way Windows assigns the Drive number.
I take it from the fact this has already come up that there is no real way to force a Drive & letter combo.

I guess I am still surprised that my (as yet unformatted) secondary drive gets allocated first, because the main drive is an mSATA - but it is shown listed last in the Dell BIOS... maybe that's why, but I can't see a way to change that order.

mSATA in BIOS menu.png

Just so I don't make a silly mistake would you recommend which port numbers I plug the secondary drive in, and also the DVD ? [ 'cos the mSata is 0 anyway I guess] .  I got the impression that there may be certain combinations that  may cause issues.

Finally, should I format the secondary only when the drives are correct, or can I format straight away ?

No Events found!