Highlighted
dalewebb
1 Copper

XPS 8700, Windows 10, won't recognize SD cards, 64GB

Internal card reader on XPS 8700 doesn't recognize SD cards inserted.  Tried 3 cards, nothing.  When I run SupportAssist diagnostics on the SD card reader, I get the response: "We are unable to find the selected device. The device driver for your selected diagnostic is either not installed or installed incorrectly. Please ensure your device is enabled through your device manager".  Don't see the device in my Device Manager to enable.  Can anyone help?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Re: XPS 8700, Windows 10, won't recognize SD cards, 64GB

I would say try a lower-capacity SD-card, but if not showing in Device Manager (or Devices & Printers), then try this:

- Re-seat card-reader plug internally inside machine

If still not working, get yourself a newer-model USB card reader (that is Windows-10 compatible). If that doesn't work, try connecting it to a machine that is validated to run Windows-10 .

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Dell supports Win 10 on the XPS 8700.  But it's odd they don't offer a driver for any card reader in this model...??

Keep in mind that card readers are USB devices. Open Device Manager and see if any "unknown" is listed or if anything is marked with X or !.

This might be a Power issue. So while in Device Manager, expand the list under USB and double-click a root hub. Click its Power Management tab and uncheck the box: "Allow PC to turn off...". Repeat for all root hubs.

Exit Device Manager and open the Win 10 Power & Sleep screen. Click Additional Power Settings. On next screen, ID the active power plan and click Change Plan Settings. On next screen, click Change Advanced Power Settings. And on this last screen, disable all of these:

• Sleep>Allow hybrid sleep
  • Sleep>Hibernation
  • USB settings>USB selective suspend
  • PCI Express>Link State Power Management

Save the changes to the plan and reboot. See if the card reader works now.

And if that doesn't help, go to the Intel download site and use their assistant to scan your hardware for new chipset drivers. The latest one offered on the Dell site is from 2015 so there probably is a newer chipset driver.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

@RoHe wrote:

1. Dell supports Win 10 on the XPS 8700. 

2. But it's odd they don't offer a driver for any card reader in this model...??

1. Good catch, my bad.

2. I think it just uses the bundled-Windows storage drivers.

Since it it not showing in Devices (and no error-ed un-named devices either) sounds like a hardware-problem to me.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
7- Thorium

And try clearing BIOS:

1. Reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup
  2. Copy down all current BIOS settings, to be safe
  3. Power off, unplug
  4. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  5. Open case and remove motherboard battery (check Service Manual for details)
  6. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  7. Reinstall the battery (Time for a fresh CR2032 3-volt coin cell battery?)
  8. Close up and connect mouse, monitor and keyboard
  9. Reboot

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Mary G
6 Indium

You might have already solved this since you did not post back, but I have an xps 8700 w win 10 and tried the sd card reader. At first I got "insert an sd card" but after a minute I removed the card and reinserted it. Then it showed up in file explorer. I added a photo to the card and it worked. Support assist did not exist in 2013 so it might not recognize parts on the 8700. Just use File Explorer to see the card.  

I had to search to find a sd card since I never use those anymore. I used a 2 gb card. 

0 Kudos