Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Q

2 Posts

July 9th, 2018 16:00

XPS 8700, Windows 8, Intermittent hang on Dell logo

My XPS has begun to hang INTERMITTENTLY at the Dell logo. Note that INTERMITTENT. Sometimes it boots fine. Sometimes it doesn't. If I unplug the computer  (because it is a hard hang) and plug it back in, sometimes it will boot normally. So far, it has taken a max of 3 tries.

The INTERMITTENT hang also occurs on hibernation (sometimes it comes back OK, sometimes I'm at my W8 desktop but nothing works, have to unplug.)

Sleep, so far, seems to work fine.

Note: because the hang is occurring intermittently, the troubleshooting tips (remove peripherals one by one) aren't particularly helpful. IOW, if it boots OK, or fails,  because I removed an external drive it may simply be the luck of the draw.

I have opened up the computer and removed the minimal amount of dust inside. I've run Dell's diagnostics and the computer passes all of the tests.

I made NO changes to the computer prior to the first time it hung on the Dell logo. I did not add or remove any devices (2 external drives, audio connection, mouse, keyboard, monitor) nor did I make any software changes other than virus updates.

When it hangs at the logo, the keyboard is locked so I can't hit the F12. (Indeed, the first sign of the hang is the fact that the NumLock comes on and stays on.) I have tried switching keyboards and plugging into a different USB slot but, as I said before, the hang is intermittent and, so far, no arrangement has permanently prevented a hang.

For the moment, I'm simply using Sleep mode rather than turning off the computer, but I'd like to fix the problem.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

July 9th, 2018 19:00

When was last time you replaced the motherboard battery? I'd start there, at least to rule the battery out. It's a CR2032 3-volt coin cell, ~$2 at discount stores.

1. Reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup
  2. Copy down all current BIOS settings, to be safe
  3. Power off, unplug
  4. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  5. Open case and remove motherboard battery (check Service Manual for details)
  6. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  7. Install a fresh battery
  8. Close up and connect mouse, monitor and keyboard
  9. Reboot

NOTE: If you get any error messages when you reboot after replacing the battery, reboot again and press F2 to open BIOS setup. Make sure the BIOS settings match what you wrote down, or change to match. Be sure to save the changes before exiting setup.

Then I guess you'll have to use the PC for a while to see if that solved the problem since you say it's intermittent...

July 10th, 2018 12:00

The battery? I haven't had to replace a computer battery since the 1990s and then only in a computer that had been unplugged for about six months. The XPS8700 is plugged into a UPS so I'm guessing it gets some residual power continuously even when turned off - and it's rarely turned off for more than 12 hours/time.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

July 10th, 2018 16:00

Sorry to tell you, but newer PCs go through motherboard batteries a whole lot faster than the old ones. These days, the battery typically only lasts ~2-3 years, even if the PC is getting "flea power" from a UPS or connected directly to the wall.

If it were me, I'd spend ~$2 for a new battery, even if that only rules the battery out. You can't just "assume" and not test things. Otherwise you'll never find a solution.

Reboot, and assuming it doesn't stall, immediately press F12. Run all the diagnostics, including RAM and extended hard drive tests. Copy error messages, if any.

What happens if you disconnect all USB devices, except mouse and keyboard before powering on each time and boot that way for a few days. After you boot you can connect the extra devices.

And you probably should back up all your files on external media, to be safe.

No Events found!