Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 12th, 2019 12:00

XPS 8700, can't detect keyboard

A friend brought over his pc & he pulled his cmos battery out. Then he asked me to look at it. I only have usb keyboards . I tried different keyboards but when I fired it up the screen displayed " keyboard not detected press f1 to continue & f2 for setup utilty." I like challenges & I have rebuilt computers but this is another challenge. There is no port on this pc for the older keyboards (ps2 keyboards I think their called). My friend had run a wireless keyboard before he pulled the battery. Now I need suggestions on how I should get his pc up & running. Any help would be much appreciated. 

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

January 16th, 2019 04:00

Good luck with your system. You pictures have been approved and it appears that you have plenty of space left on the SSD and it should remain that way if you store most of your user created content on your HDD.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

January 12th, 2019 12:00

It would help if you described the system in more detail, such as model number, etc. Why did your friend pull the CMOS battery?  Was it an old battery and if so did you replace it with a new one?

January 12th, 2019 13:00

The computer is  the 8700 model, cpu is a intel core 17, 4 memory sticks of 4kg, made by SKhynix, mb DP/N is 0KWVT8. One of junior ip guys at his work suggested he should pull the battery out for a couple minutes. My friend told me it was making a whirling noise the to a blue screen.  To me it sounded like psu or his memory sticks was giving him the problem. Can't access the bios or boot the system because my usb keyboards can't be detected. Ant help would be much apprieciated.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

January 12th, 2019 17:00

Try clearing the CMOS setting. The procedure is on page 84 of the owners manual which can be found here:https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-8700_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf. Pulling the battery may not have cleared the BIOS settings.

The whirling noise your friend heard may be just due to the CPU heating up and the fans kicking in as a result of the blue screen.

What OS is on this system? Windows 7? Windows 10?

January 12th, 2019 17:00

Windows 8, Thanks for the link.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

January 12th, 2019 18:00

What you may have is a Fast Boot issue and a corrupted hard drive. With Fast Boot, USB devices are not available until after OS boot and if the OS is corrupted there is no boot. To test this theory, you have to disable Fast Boot and without a keyboard the only way is the power switch, power down the system by holding down the power switch until the system beeps.  See the link here: https://superuser.com/questions/313024/how-to-get-into-bios-when-usb-keyboard-is-not-powered-and-have-no-ps-2-ports

I don't know if this is the answer but it is worth a try.

The other thing that is worth a try is disconnecting the hard drive and try powering up the system.

January 12th, 2019 19:00

I tried the jumping the pins but that did not work. I tried holding the power button down but the pc would only shut off after about 3 seconds holding the button down. I even tried it couple times with the hd disconnected. I wonder if a usb ps2 adaptor would work. Thanks for the help.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

January 13th, 2019 05:00

I don't see how a USB PS2 adapter would help. The computer does not have a PS2 port so an USB keyboard to PS2 adapter would have nowhere to connect it to and a PS2 keyboard to USB adapter would still be basically a USB keyboard and depend upon USB. When the system fails, does the keyboard not detected message stay on the screen and you are not getting any other messages or beeps from the computer? Have you tried all the USB ports? The other suggestion I have is to look inside the computer and check all the wire connections to the motherboard.

January 13th, 2019 08:00

There is no ps2 slot on this pc. The adaptors have a male usb connector & female ends for ps2 mouse & keyboard, was hoping for a Hail Mary.

I have tried all the usb ports with my 2 usb keyboards, maybe I could rustle up a few other usb keyboards & try them. My other option would be to buy a ps2 card compatible for the 0KWVT8 mb.

I have checked all the connectors & they were all good.

What do you think of a ps2 card for this pc?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 13th, 2019 11:00

The USB hub has to have its own external power supply.

Can't you find a local drugstore, hardware store or supermarket that's closer? CR2032 3-volt batteries are fairly common and could be available closer than 60 km.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

Excuse my dumb question, but have you reinstalled the CMOS battery, and with preferably a fresh one?

Get an externally powered USB hub. Connect its power brick to the wall and the hub to a rear USB2 port. Connect mouse and keyboard through the hub and reboot. Does that help?

I have reinstalled the battery, but not a fresh one. I'm 60km away from any town so I need to drive to get parts. I believe I have sub hub somewhere, will try your advice. Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

January 13th, 2019 12:00

"What do you think of a ps2 card for this pc?" I don't think it is a good idea, First, I don't think something like that exists, if it did it would probably require a loading a driver.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

Don't think it's worth the effort to try a PS2 (PCi-express) card. As you said, you'd probably have to load a driver, but if PC won't recognize USB, you won't be able to load  a driver.

;BTW: Since the other guy was using a wireless keyboard, did you unplug its USB dongle from the PC when testing other keyboards?

No stores between me & town. Will run to town tomorrow. I'll pick up a hub & battery tomorrow. Got a snow storm today.

No Events found!