2 Bronze

XPS 8700, cannot update to A12 BIOS?

Since 23 February 2018, owners of a Dell XPS 8700 are asked to update the Bios to version A12.

I have version A11 of the Bios on my Dell. However, when extracting the exe.-file, I always get error messages 'application has existed !' or otherwise 'parameter error'.

How to fix this ?

Dirk

0 Kudos
21 Replies

XPS 8700, cannot update to A12 BIOS?

Odd, the A12 Fixes states,
- Update to the latest CPU microcode to address CVE-2017-5715 and associated Intel Reboot issue

Yet, the XPS 8700 is NOT on the affected platform list? Download and run this free InSpectre application to check your system. What are the results?

Did you try the other installation methods listed on that driver page "Installation instructions" ?

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
3 Argentum

Re: XPS 8700, cannot update to A12 BIOS?

Yes, the A12 is for the 8700... got notice via Dell Support Assist and installed it (no problem). It is also on the XPS8700 Download page.

0 Kudos
7 Thorium

It's very unusual to get a bios update for a 5 year old model! Thanks Dell! Downloaded A12 and install it without any problem. 

To the original poster--see my other post.

0 Kudos
1 Copper

What does this Bios update, Version A12 do?

0 Kudos
5 Tungsten

In the beginning of Chris M.'s post in this thread he link to the description of the change..

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

I will try the other methods. Glad to read that others installed it without any problem, so, it should have to work on my pc, too.

Thanks to all who answered my question.

Dirk 

0 Kudos
1 Copper

I tried to update the Bios (after an "urgent" warning from Dell). I locked up in the middle of the process and I left it running (or not running) for over 3 hours. Then with no alternatives (after trying many ways to get to the task manager and or some response) I had to shut the unit off - That was the end of that - no anything as obviously the BIOS was corrupt (UEFI actually). My unit was manufactured in 2013 so there is no recovery options possible.

I did all the required processes (battery out, jumper reset, etc) but still nothing. I was basically told by Dell to buy a new motherboard. I am going to try one last trick I read about and that is to buy a BIOS chip and tape it down over the old one and see if this works the trick. Anyone ever try this?  It could save me about $180.

Very frustrated with the tech support from Dell. I purchased this machine from Costco and their support people were fantastic even though the machine was out of warranty. When I was eventually transferred to Dell, I spoke with a women (I have a badge number) who I found very hard to understand (Asian accent) and who continually gave me incorrect information until I repeated what the Costco people had told me (download the BIOS for example) and then she would say "yes you can do that." Otherwise, here solution (continually) was I should send in my unit to Dell.

Just my two cents.  

Pete Parcells

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Results withe Inspectre: there is no problem.

Dirk

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

I went into the BIOS Setup, I went to Boot Mode option. I didn’t find ' Legacy Boot Mode '. I found

• UEFI
  • USB Storage
  • Internal ODD Devices
  • USB Floppy
  • Onboard NIC Device…

What should I do ?

Dirk

0 Kudos