Highlighted
Krptonicx
1 Copper

XPS 8700, graphics card UG GTX 1660 GB DDR5

I wanted to upgrade my graphics card and did a lot of homework (thought I did anyways lol). For the money the best card was an MSI RX580 8GB. Well to make a long story short, card would not work on my XPS 8700. After reading the info that came with the card I saw that card needed 500w and my XPS only had a 460w PSU. I guess I’ll have to go with the GTX 1660 like you did. I guess I could have put a new PSU in my tower but I was so ticked off that it didn’t work I just sent it back for a refund. Why do they make these cards that most towers don’t even have proper PSU to run? I guess it was my fault for not fully reading every bit of info possible on the card. When I was younger I used to build my own towers and never ran into any problems. I guess times have changed. You haven’t had any problems running the GTX 1660?

3 Replies
Highlighted
Krptonicx
1 Copper

Re: XPS 8700, graphics card UG GTX 1660 GB DDR5

I’m thinking I should’ve just upgraded the PSU. From everything I’ve read the rx580 is a much better card . 

Highlighted
Krptonicx
1 Copper

AC48DA8B-BE02-4342-81B2-E116EDE360E9.png

 This is cArd I had to return . I’ve been reading other rx580 versions that say only 225watts. Kinda stuck on what to do. Anyone have any suggestions . I guess I could try one of the 580s from a different manufacturer that’s not so power hungry .

Highlighted
Vic384
4 Beryllium

The card you have is the MSI version of the AMD Radeon RX580 design. AMD recommends a power supply of 500W. I doubt you will find a Radeon RX580 that requires less than 500W certainly not 225W. I looked at two other manufacturers, XFX and ASRock, and they both recommend a minimum power supply of 550W.

You are correct in thinking you should have upgraded the PSU. The GTX 1660 requires a minimim power supply of 450W and depending upon what else you have in you computer, the 460W may not be enough.

"Why do they make these cards that most towers don’t even have proper PSU to run?" New graphics cards are made to meet performance demands, and performance demands power. Dell size the PSUs in their computers for the components/options they sell which do not include these higher performance graphics cards that users want to add later.