Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

1 Message

August 14th, 2019 09:00

XPS 8700 has SATA III (SSD query)

Query:
Do XPS 8700 slots have SATA III capability?

Background: 
My understanding is that SATA is the old, and SATA III the new faster interface. 

Relevance:
I'm told that if slots are old SATA, then a SATA III SSD is better leveraged using a cable to a PCIe slot.

Thanks all!

2.5K Posts

no goal stated and no definition of SLOT< what is a slot.(my guess not m.2 or PCI-e) but SATA ports.

are you planning a new SSD Drive, SATA?  (not m.2?) but real HDD formfactored SSD drive> SATA 3

then just do it , it will work, and run fast.  your SATA port run full speed, did you find it hard to find the

manuals, and spec on your PC at dell.com?   if yes, why? (sure too many manuals , sure)

if listening READIT.com don't may there are clueless.(or worse)

circa 2013 PC,  6 years old , par

dell system. guide says STAT III ports clear as day, why not read the spec first. ?

CNET shows same.

SATA 6Gb/s

why not just buy the drive, and benchmark it your self, see IT WORKS.
if not buy any PCI-e card that does III , if you run out of  MOBO SATA ports. (hard to imagine)
here is one good answer, read it.

but here is Good Chris answer, it gets asked here endless.

first learn that speed  of the raw bus is not the through put speed,  there is overhead, (and 2 levels of that)

the STAT 3 spec shows. this. and is not OLD,  in fact it was made for the future. and even revised 2018

Third-generation SATA interfaces run with a native transfer rate of 6.0 Gbit/s; taking 8b/10b encoding into account, the maximum uncoded transfer rate is 4.8 Gbit/s (600 MB/s).

The theoretical burst throughput of SATA 6.0 Gbit/s is double that of SATA revision 2.0. It is backward compatible with SATA 3 Gbit/s and SATA 1.5 Gbit/s.[20]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#3.0

buy a drive put it in and be happy.  buy top brands like Crucial, not  those on fleabay for 1/10th the price and only usb class memories inside.

there is some real junk sold there.

if really a speed demo, and money is no object or anything at all, read what others get, read data is real.

https://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/high_end_drives.html

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

Not sure what you mean by XPS 8700 "slots". There are four SATA connectors on the motherboard and the owner's manual labels them as SATA 3.0 (6 Gb/s) drive connectors.

38 Posts

August 15th, 2019 01:00

Prostaffed:

My 8700 has 5 SATA III connectors on the motherboard.  There is a photo of their location in the user manual.

Mine are numbered connector 0-4.  i.e., they are labelled SATA 0, SATA 1, SATA 2, SATA 3, and SATA 4.  Those are just the location numbers.   They are all SATA v 3.0 (6 Gb/s).

My main system drive (the SSD) I have in the SATA 0 connector.  My optical drive is in the SATA 1 position.  Then I use other drives from time to time in the SATA 2 and SATA 3 connectors.  I haven't needed the SATA 4 connector yet.

You will like having an SSD.  It will speed up your system a LOT!    After I switched to SSD, my Windows startup time is now only a few seconds.   File transfers between media are faster.  System scans such as antivirus/antimalware scans are much faster.

No Events found!