kylelopez20
1 Copper

XPS 8700, install XPS 8900 motherboard?

Hi - I own Dell XPS 8700 and would like to ensure compatibility with the new Dell XPS 8900 motherboard installed into 8700. Are the wiring plugs and pins, the fans, and others besides back plate (replaceable) the same and will it work with 8700? Note that I haven’t bought the motherboard yet, but I am curious about this upgrade. Thanks!

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
JOcean
5 Tungsten

Re: XPS 8700 Motherboard Upgrade

You would have to replace the CPU as well since the sockets are different. Also you would lose your Windows license as the license is tied to the BIOS. It may or may not activate with a new motherboard. The following site has more information. So considering the age of your 8700 ( approaching 6 years) it seems that the cost involved would make upgrading to a new system a better route.

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS B450-F Gaming with Ryzen 5 2600X
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575
0 Kudos
Highlighted
7- Thorium

Aside from everything mentioned above, will that motherboard even fit in the XPS 8700 case..??

Dell uses custom connectors between motherboards and front panels so you'd have to map that connector to be able to wire the new motherboard to the front panel power button etc.

Probably not worth the cost, time, or effort vs a new(er) PC with a warranty...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
kylelopez20
1 Copper

The XPS 8900 has the same case as 8700 so that’s why I asked about this upgrade. Do people receive a new service tag for the motherboard itself? I doubt the previous service tag would be invalid due to different motherboard for a different model itself. If I get a new tag for the 8900 motherboard / model, then I could use dell recovery CD for that model and possibly activate Windows.
0 Kudos
7- Thorium

According to Microsoft, if you change the motherboard, you've changed the PC and have to purchase a new OS license for the new PC.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
kylelopez20
1 Copper

I understand that, what about reinstalling Windows and get it activated through BIOS link? Wouldn’t that work? I mean, there’s possibly a chance the activation licensing through BIOS may not work. I don’t know.

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

No idea what you mean by "BIOS link".

And it's more than just a question of what's doable, it's what's legal...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
kylelopez20
1 Copper

Hm, thanks for the answers then. I guess it works that way then.

0 Kudos
Mary G
6 Indium

The bios win 10 key is only applies to computers that originally came with windows 10 not for upgrades. The 8700 is too old for that. If you tied your win 10 upgrade activation to your MS Account before changing any hardware, you might be able to reactivate. If you did not do it before the hardware change, you will have to buy a new license.

See this-- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

0 Kudos
kylelopez20
1 Copper

Thanks for letting me know about this!

0 Kudos