Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 23rd, 2019 17:00

XPS 8700, is there likely to be a new BIOS version A14 this summer?

I was just curious if anyone has heard if there will be a new BIOS v. A14 this summer for XPS 8700. If so, is it to address security issues? I presume at some point they will quit updating BIOS for an 8700, but I don't know when that is.

Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

June 24th, 2019 11:00

According to this Dell support page, there will be a BIOS update for the XPS 8700 and a long list of other Dell systems to fix a number of recently identified critical security issues caused by Intel problems. 

BIOS A14  for the XPS 8700 is estimated for release some time in July'19. Time will tell if they meet that date...

Word of caution: If you get an alert from SupportAssist (or Dell Update) to update to A14, do NOT let either of them manage the update for you. Go directly to the support page for the XPS 8700 and manually download the update onto your desktop.

Then close all open apps and windows, and temporarily disable your anti-viral app before launching the BIOS update.  Once the PC reboots after the update, make sure your anti-viral app is re-enabled to launch at every boot.

EDIT: And once BIOS is updated to A14, go back to the support page for your model and install any driver updates that may be released along with A14, eg possibly for Intel chipset(s), Intel Management Engine, etc, and then any Microsoft Windows updates offered via Windows Update.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

June 24th, 2019 08:00

No that 6 yr old model is considered old now and will not be getting any bios updates. If it were not for the Spectre scare and Intel update for that last year, it would not have gotten the A13 update. Bios updates are for the computer maker's motherboard. Security updates are for the operating system and those will still come from Microsoft Windows Update as long as you have Windows 10. 

If you still have windows 7 you need to update to win 10 since windows 7 will not receive any security updates after 1/14/2020 and will be unsafe to use on the internet. Or buy a new computer by the end of this year.

2.5K Posts

June 24th, 2019 13:00

the best way is the F12 bios update key. (see in the F12 menu, this is the safest way if present.

power on , hammer F12. then point it to the new , bios A14 update.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

June 25th, 2019 10:00

XPS 8700 is too old to have the BIOS update option on the F12 menu...

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

July 27th, 2019 16:00

@wood99cr- If you successfully updated to BIOS A14 using SupportAssist, you're in the clear, and nothing to worry about. And you're a brave soul..!

BIOS updates run using SupportAssist seem to have a much higher probability of failing and bricking the motherboard than updates run manually by the user, regardless of PC model. So that's why the recommendation not to use SupportAssist for BIOS updates.

When SupportAssist bricks a motherboard while updating BIOS on a PC that's no longer covered by Dell's warranty, the user has to buy a replacement motherboard and either install it themselves, or pay someone to do it. Or just toss it out and buy a whole new PC. Dell does not cover failed BIOS updates on out-of-warranty PCs, even though SupportAssist pushed the update. And the XPS 8700 is long out of warranty...

1 Message

July 27th, 2019 16:00

Why not use Support Assist to upgrade BIOS to A14? If I've already done so, what potential problems should I be aware of?

Thanks

August 29th, 2019 08:00

I went twice to try this update. Both times it was stuck in download and I cancelled.

The other updates for other things went ok. but the BIOS for 8700 did not. I was still

going and I cancelled, it was taking several HOURS.

Do I have to do this?  Is there a place to go to SEE if I need to update anything?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

August 29th, 2019 10:00

@KathyRankin  - Are you still able to boot the XPS 8700?

What version of Windows?

You can go to the Support page and enter your Service Tag number. (Don't post it here.) The site will show you the latest available drivers and BIOS updates for your system. You can compare the version number shown there with the version number listed in Device Manager for the corresponding driver. Release dates shown on the Support page will also be an indicator of driver updates you might not already have.

A lot  of recent BIOS and driver updates patch newly discovered security issues with Intel microprocessors and Intel driver software. You don't have to install any of them, as long as you accept the risk of using a PC that could be attacked online by a hacker.

As for the BIOS update:

1. Download the BIOS update file onto your desktop
  2. Close all open apps and all open windows
  3. Disable your anti-viral app (eg McAfee or Norton or Windows Defender...)
  4. Right-click the BIOS .exe file on your desktop and "Run as administrator"
  5. Don't interrupt the BIOS update or turn the PC off
  6. When PC reboots automatically after the update, make sure your anti-viral app is re-enabled and running

I don't understand the rest of your questions. The XPS 8700 is a few years old so how can it be "new"? Are you saying it's "new to you" and somebody else had it previously? 

And there's no such PC as a "XPS8700 Dell Demension Desktop". Dell Dimension PCs are entirely different than XPS PCs, and Dimension PCs are lots older than the XPS 8700...

If you have other questions, beyond the BIOS update, you should start your own new thread for those issues, and be sure to include the exact PC model and version of Windows.

14 Posts

September 6th, 2019 06:00

So what happens if you use support assist.. I am trying to but the bios update is stuck on installing.. I'm afraid to close it.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

September 6th, 2019 11:00

@SHilton53  - Always include exact PC model and version of Windows in your posts.

If the BIOS update is stuck, you may have no choice but to force power the PC off and then try to boot normally. If you're lucky the motherboard wasn't damaged and it boots. In this case, follow the steps I posted above to update BIOS manually.

Depending on PC model, if it won't reboot, read this for possible steps to recover.

And if you can't recover, read Dell's policy on failed BIOS updates for PCs that are either in or out of warranty.

No Events found!