Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

31 Posts

September 21st, 2018 15:00

XPS 8700, motherboard, Mini PCIe slot?

Hello!

I have a Dell XPS 8700 X8700-3312BLK Desktop. Dell just recently replaced the motherboard and I can't tell if it has a mini pci express slot or not.  I can't see one but it's pretty crowded inside the stack. Is there a way I can easily tell?  I'm looking at getting this card as the one I have is old and won't handle the faster net: https://amzn.to/2PX10mL

Thanks!

Nancy

Windows 7 Pro. 64 bit
Dell XPS 8700 X8700-3312BLK Desktop 
Intel Core i7-4790 3.60 GHz
16GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 4 DIMMs
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 21st, 2018 20:00

I suggest you download the XPS-8700 PDF Manual. See it now?

If your old card was only Single-Band (2.4ghz) and 1T/1R ... I didn't think you could go to Dual-Band and/or 2T/2R with those existing internal antennas.

Are you sure you can not hook-up a real ethernet wire? Those are fast.

There is also this Mini PCI-E to PCI-E . That should supply better antennas for your upgraded WiFi card.

31 Posts

September 22nd, 2018 08:00

Hello!

Unfortunately I can't hook direct in. I'm on the other side of the house where the router/modem is. The pdf shows the original motherboard and I did not get paperwork on the new one when they replaced it. So I don't know if its different or not.

I was on with dell support for another issue and they said I could use these two cards but I'm struggling to find those exact ones. But then I'm not knowledgeable on this stuff either. 

CRD,WRLES,7260AC HMC,HF,WW (WLAN, Wifi(802.11 ac/a/b/g/n)/Bluetooth, Half Minicard, Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 )
7260AC Dual Band Wireless bluetooth card

Rep ID 1095817 Varun (11:38:17):
CRD,WRLES,INTEL6235,WW (WLAN, Wifi (802.11 a/g/n)/Bluetooth, MiniCard, Intel(R) WiFi Link 6235 )
INTEL6235 Bluetooth MiniCard

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 22nd, 2018 12:00

@nancygail wrote:

1. Unfortunately I can't hook direct in. I'm on the other side of the house where the router/modem is.

2. The pdf shows the original motherboard and I did not get paperwork on the new one when they replaced it.

3. So I don't know if its different or not.

1. That's too bad. I only use WiFi for laptops and iPads (portable devices).

2. If Dell replaced it, it should be the same as the original one.

3. If you are going to try to do this yourself, you will have to look inside the computer and maybe even touch something.

a. Are you sure you don't have a friend or family member that can help you?

b. What model WiFi card to do you have now?

31 Posts

September 22nd, 2018 15:00

I can dig around in there myself. Just wondered if something might know a simple way to find out. I currently have a Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz) It came with the machine.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 22nd, 2018 20:00

@nancygail wrote:

1. I can dig around in there myself.  

2. Just wondered if something might know a simple way to find out.

3. I currently have a Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz) It came with the machine.

1. That's cool. Then I suggest you take a look.

2. I doubt many other XPS-8700 owners have tried to upgrade their WiFi card or even want faster WiFi. May I ask why you do?

3. https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Dell_Wireless_1703_(DW1703)

As I expected, it's an old single-band (2.4ghz) 1x1 card. See what I said above about internal antennas. You are welcome to try whatever though. However, if the antennas aren't a good match, it will not work very well (ie poor, un-reliable connections and/or slow).

Did you ever download the manual ?

31 Posts

September 23rd, 2018 05:00

We just moved and now have 5G. I was just going to upgrade so I could utilize it. I was also trying to use a Smart TV app so the main TV could see my computer but I need to be on the same wireless... we have two. One for the slower as some of our devices can't use the faster, and then the 5g. 

I did get the manual. I actually have someone who can look at it for me. I'll just do that. So... the two cards the Dell tech guy told won't work? He didn't link me just gave me the info. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 23rd, 2018 11:00

@nancygail wrote:

1. We just moved and now have 5G. I was just going to upgrade so I could utilize it.

2. I was also trying to use a Smart TV app so the main TV could see my computer but I need to be on the same wireless... we have two. One for the slower as some of our devices can't use the faster, and then the 5g. 

3. So... the two cards the Dell tech guy told won't work? He didn't link me just gave me the info. 

1. Seems like a good reason.

2. I've never heard of this. It usually goes by router/residential-gateway because everything on the "safe side" of the router's firewall is "your LAN".

If you are saying everything has to be connected to the new 5hz Access-Point ... what if your XPS-8900 was connected by a ethernet wire? Obviously, it would not be excluded. See how that works?

3. If you want a definitive answer, someone would have to research it. 

And if you plan to use existing internal antennas, that's another variable to be analyzed. Unless you just want the "try it" ... but not sure how you would know you were reaching optimal WiFi levels for your wireless environment.

Radios need proper antennas to work at 100% efficiency.  

31 Posts

September 24th, 2018 07:00

Appreciate all your input. I can't connect direct due to where the modem is located. (I'm visiting for a few months with a family member.)  I'll have someone more knowledgeable than me look into it. 

Thanks again!

Nancy

732 Posts

September 24th, 2018 08:00

Good idea...…………..

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 24th, 2018 10:00

@nancygail wrote:

1. I can't connect direct due to where the modem is located. (I'm visiting for a few months with a family member.) 

2. I'll have someone more knowledgeable than me look into it. 

3. Appreciate all your input. Thanks again! Nancy

1. Yes, you already explained about that. When I said "connect" I meant via 5ghz-WiFi.

2. Probably not a bad idea. Connecting to existing WiFi and using it is one thing. Installing WiFi cards and optimizing your network is something else. Maybe you could show them this thread? At least it's still working at the moment.

3. You are welcome Nancy.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 25th, 2018 07:00

#24 is the Mini PCIe connector slot. In that slot, we used the following devices =
FXP0D DW (Dell Wireless) 1703 WLAN/WiFi/BT/Single band 2.4GHz
R4GW0 DW (Dell Wireless) 1704 (Broadcom BCM43142) WLAN/WiFi/BT/Single band 2.4GHz
5K9GJ Intel Link 6235 WLAN/WiFi/BT/Dual band 2.4GHz+5.0GHz
3578W Intel Link 7260 WLAN/WiFi/BT/Dual band 2.4GHz+5.0GHz
NMTXR Intel Link 7260 WLAN/WiFi/BT/Dual band 2.4GHz+5.0GHz
8TF1D Intel Link 7260 Pro WLAN/WiFi/BT/Dual band 2.4GHz+5.0GHz

XPS8700mobo.jpg

31 Posts

September 25th, 2018 08:00

Thank you SO much Chris... so I assume I can purchase any one of those cards listed and it will work?  For example this: https://ebay.to/2xQch0T

As I'm not knowledgeable on this stuff I'm struggling to find things that are exact matches to the things you listed.  If you could link me to one that's a 5G I'd appreciate it. 

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 25th, 2018 11:00

That is the validated NMTXR Intel Link 7260 WLAN/WiFi/BT/Dual band 2.4GHz+5.0GHz.

5K9GJ Intel Link 6235 WLAN/WiFi/BT/Dual band 2.4GHz+5.0GHz
8TF1D Intel Link 7260 Pro WLAN/WiFi/BT/Dual band 2.4GHz+5.0GHz

The online XPS 8700 Owner's Manual has the instructions to:
(1) Open the case cover (page 15)
(2) Removing the Wireless Mini-Card (page 30)
(3) Replacing the Wireless Mini-Card (page 32)

The online XPS 8700 drivers page under Network has the drivers.

All that being said, an external Dual Band USB Wireless WiFi adapter plugged into the rear USB port is the easiest way to go. Just disable the current WiFi adapter in the Device Manager, then plug that in, install the driver.

No Events found!