Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

3 Posts

October 24th, 2018 12:00

XPS 8700, not seeing my WD Red 3TB at full size

Hi.

We have an 8700 that was running great on a Seagate Barracuda 1TB.

Plan was to make OS disk a SSD and add a mirrored storage space for backup data (2x3TB WD Reds).

SSD conversion went without a flaw,  system is FAST! now.  1 TB is removed

Problem is the OS and BIOS not seeing my WD Red 3TB drives, only showing 1TB in both BIOS and system.

I have upgraded to current BIOS for this system and still no luck.

ANY SUGGESTIONS

12GB Ram, Win10/64

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 24th, 2018 12:00

Try doing a DiskPart "clean" on them. Be careful you don't erase the wrong disk :Surprise:

When Disk Management detects the raw drives, select GPT. Format as NTFS.

3 Posts

October 24th, 2018 13:00

Thanks,  Will try that....

I did load DiskPart and listed the disks, it sees them as 1TB as well.  I will Clean and try what you said and report back tomorrow.  My concern is the BOIS only sees them as 1TB as well?  I have a suspicion that the problem may be there?

Thanks

3 Posts

October 25th, 2018 08:00

Hi again.

Tried Diskpart as suggested.

Selected both of my new drives (NOT OS SSD Drive) and cleaned them using diskpart

Went into Disk Management in Windows.  They they show there still but wrong size.

DiskPart shows 931 Size and 931 Free

BIOS Shows 1000GB for the drives

Disk Management shows 931.5GB

Unfortunately they are 3TB WD RED (Brand new)

Any more ideas,  still stuck!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 25th, 2018 11:00

Since the XPS-8700 is rather old, sounds like maybe you have hit a BIOS translation barrier.

Are you running the final XPS-8700 BIOS ?

I'm sure running new-model HDD designed for RAID use (instead in an old desktop) it not helping situation.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 26th, 2018 14:00

Other than a BIOS update, can't really think of anything else.

You can probably install that drive in an Orico USB-3 Enclosure . Macrium Reflect can be setup to do scheduled and verified system Images (Daily Differentials and Monthly Fulls).

Remember that no RAID is a backup. However, a Synology NAS is pretty nice. With a 4-bay , you can have a (Synology Hybrid) RAID-5 array with 1-Disk Fault Tolerance.

590 Posts

October 30th, 2018 13:00

This sounds a lot like your issue - a HPA (Host Protected Area) erroneously activating.

Regardless, one thing I always try to do before a hardware upgrade is disable Fast Boot in the BIOS so it rescans to pick up the new HW config.  I re-enable when done.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 30th, 2018 14:00

Requires 64 bit OS,  GPT Partition.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 30th, 2018 22:00

@speedstep wrote:

Requires 64 bit OS,  GPT Partition.

Right.

User is using 64bit Windows.

"DiskPart clean" and GPT didn't help. 

Problem seems to be that's it's showing incorrect size in BIOS. It's like a "HDD translation barrier" but shouldn't really be happening as this machine isn't that old.

No Events found!