XPS Desktops

Last reply by 05-08-2021 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

XPS 8700, power button does not work

I have read some of the posts and have some progress.  Currently my power button will not turn on the system.

If I unplug the power cord and press the button for 10 seconds, then plug the cord back in , it will start.  However, so far I have to do that every time I want to turn on my PC.

Ideas?

Replies (46)

Try spraying the switch with contact cleaner, that worked for me.

You can buy replacement switch with wire harness on ebay.

I checked the Power ON switch and measured a resistance of 15 Ohm.  So I assume the switch is working on my XPS 8000.

An amber LED lights up on the motherboard when I connect the desktop to the mains.  But pressing the Power ON switch does not start the computer.

There was quite a bit of dust inside the desktop and also inside the power supply unit.
Also, for some time the desktop made often quite a bit of noise, noise I presume generated by the fan(s) (3 of them).  Maybe the power supply overheated and therefore is no longer functioning?

There is a small test button for the power supply on the back of the case. You can have PC off, plugged in, and pressing the test button should turn the power supply on while the button is depressed.

@GuillaumeCdB  - Do you mean it's a Studio XPS 8000, or is that a typo in your post?

If this is a Studio XPS 8000, it's hard to tell from the on-line docs if this model has the PSU test button on the back, but here are Dell's instructions to run the PSU "BIST" tests with or without that button. 

The amber light on motherboard only means it's getting "flea power" but that's not enough to boot the PC. And is it possible the switch has failed even though it has resistance?

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

Thanks, Ron for your comments.

It is an XPS 8000 (purchased in 2009).
Alas, no test button present, only the green LED that, I assume, lights up once the desktop is booting (which it does not of course).

Never heard of "flea power".

A resistance of 15 ohm is rather high for just a contact (measured between the pink and blue wire connections)...
I will try to temporary bypass/bridge the Power ON switch with a wire by connecting the 2 pins of the male plug at the bottom of the motherboard where the Power ON switch connector is plugged (I will have to remove the 2nd HDD to have easier access to the connector on the motherboard; I have a RAID1 configuration).

I can check the battery again but I replaced it not too long ago.

Willy

Today I checked the Power ON button again.  De resistance hovers around 13 ohm.
I shorted the switch with a wire between the 2 solder pads on the switch (lowered the heat shrink tubes).  The desktop did not start.

I checked the battery: measured 3V DC.

I will uninstall the power supply en measures the voltages wherever, although it is not clear to me which color wire (black, red, orange, yellow) supplies which power and which voltage (+/-).  That seems the only way to find out if the power supply still works.

Willy

@GuillaumeCdB  Black is ground.  Yellow is +12V.  Red is +5V.  Orange is +3.3V.  (Assuming Dell followed normal conventions).

@GuillaumeCdB  You'll probably need to use the 'paperclip' test to turn the power supply on when not connected to the motherboard.  See here for the method.

@GuillaumeCdB  The rear PSU LED should light up for 3 sec and then go out after disconnecting the cord from rear of PC, waiting 15 sec and then reconnecting the power cord to rear of PC with its other end already plugged into the wall, but without any surge protector or power strip in between.

So if you're not seeing the LED on for 3 sec, that suggests a failed PSU. Before buying a new PSU, you may want to strip PC down to bare essentials by disconnecting all drives, removing all PCI cards, except video card, removing all RAM, except the module in 2nd slot from CPU. Connect only mouse, monitor and keyboard and run the PSU test again. If you still don't see the PSU LED on for 3 sec, then it might be time to think about replacing the PSU...

EDITED

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

And this solution, I might try first:

PSU test 

Willy

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions