Highlighted
ryan95
1 Nickel

XPS 8700, questions about adding an SSD

Jump to solution

Hey guys

I was thinking of getting a SSD for my XPS 8700 and this is my current spec of the machine-

1. Core i7 Processor(unchanged)
  2. 16 GB DDR3L RAM(2x8)
  3. NVIDIA ASUS STRIX 960 GTX
  4. 1x 1TB HD and 1x3TB HD
  5. 460w PSU(that came with the desktop)

I've read that you can have up to four hard drives so there should be space, so I was wondering if I add an SSD will the power supply be enough or do you think I'm pushing it a bit? And would I need any special cables other than a SATA cable? Also SSD size seems to be 2.5 Inch which I assume would fit? 

Cheers 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Question about adding an SSD to my XPS 8700

Jump to solution

Per the XPS 8700 Owner's Manual page 13, the motherboard has five SATA 3.0 ports =
Blue 6Gb/s, SATA 0
White 6Gb/s, SATA 1
Black 6Gb/s, SATA 2
Black 6Gb/s, SATA 3
Black 6Gb/s, SATA 4

You are most likely using three of them now (1TB HDD, 3TB HDD, CD/DVD drive), so that leaves two available. Understand, we only tested mSATA SSD which plugged directly into the motherboard mSATA slot (see page 33) not a regular SATA 3 slot. So if you are looking to add a SATA 3-SSD, you will have to purchase a SSD 2.5" to 3.5" mount and the additional SATA 3 cable. For my notes, send me via Private Message the service tag number.

3 Replies
Tesla1856
6 Gallium

Jump to solution

You should probably grab the PDF manuals.

No, SSDs don't really use much power.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Per the XPS 8700 Owner's Manual page 13, the motherboard has five SATA 3.0 ports =
Blue 6Gb/s, SATA 0
White 6Gb/s, SATA 1
Black 6Gb/s, SATA 2
Black 6Gb/s, SATA 3
Black 6Gb/s, SATA 4

You are most likely using three of them now (1TB HDD, 3TB HDD, CD/DVD drive), so that leaves two available. Understand, we only tested mSATA SSD which plugged directly into the motherboard mSATA slot (see page 33) not a regular SATA 3 slot. So if you are looking to add a SATA 3-SSD, you will have to purchase a SSD 2.5" to 3.5" mount and the additional SATA 3 cable. For my notes, send me via Private Message the service tag number.

ryan95
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi thanks for reply

i bought this- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C2SJPPX 

it comes with a mount and screws, just have a question, where would be a good place to mount it? I was thinking just below the DVD drive looked like a good place, otherwise have to look.

So it seems power wont be an issue too,yeah?

0 Kudos