Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 15th, 2019 17:00

XPS 8700, restart goes to repair?

System Model: XPS 8700

BIOS: A10 (type: UEFI)

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz

This started happening a few months ago where everytime my computer restarts or I turn it on I get sent to Dell's automatic repair program where it says it is trying to fix the system for about 5 seconds and then says it can't be fixed and shows a recovery point but the only recovery point is the factory image from 4 years ago. However when I go to the boot menu seen here and select the second windows boot manager option the system boots normally and everything is fine.

I've just been living with this for these few months because I can easily bypass it but I'm trying to update to Windows 10 version 1903 and the update keeps failing because this gets in the way of the update when the computer restarts. I've done a full diagnostic test from the menu shown above and everything comes back fine and I couldn't begin to guess what to do next since I'm not even sure how to word this problem right to get useful results when searching. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 15th, 2019 19:00

1. First, manually set a System Restore point to be safe.

2. Right-click Start and on the Run line, type in: msconfig and click OK.

3. Click the Boot tab in msconfig and select the boot version you want to use directly. Then click Set As Default.

4. Now select the other boot version that you don't want and click Delete.

5. Click Apply and then reboot.

Fixed?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 16th, 2019 07:00

Drive is corrupted with 2 boot entries.

AUTO REPAIR NEVER WORKS

Time to backup and clean install.

6 Posts

July 12th, 2019 22:00

Sorry for the month late reply, didn't realize dell doesn't email me or anything when I have replies. Anyway shortly after posting this I fixed the issue messing around in the BIOS menu by setting the second windows boot manger to be the first boot device. I just checked the msconfig and only one boot version shows up so I guess that resolved itself? Thanks for the response!

2.5K Posts

July 13th, 2019 06:00

most forums default to no response.

you have to turn it on in your settings and is complex, where you want it to go, email,SMS, RFC and vast other ways. (in general)

but so glad you sorted it all by self.

one other way to stall A PC is with DVD in the tray an for sure defective,  boot order set wrong.

No Events found!