Start a Conversation

Unsolved

CB

15 Posts

May 29th, 2018 14:00

XPS 8700, sluggish after update to A12 BIOS

I've read through the similar thread from a few weeks ago but none of the suggestions have borne any fruit.

Last week my 8700 "suffered" a critical BIOS update and it's now pretty much unusable for my normal tasks....namely photo editing.  DXO Photolab, Adobe Lightroom and Photodex software all respond slowly to many commands......things that I perceived as instant until the update can now take several seconds.  Performance monitor shows the processor running 100% @3.59Ghz whenever an adjustment is made but typically idles at 6-7% prior to any command. Boot from power on is also noticeably slower although I'm not particularly bothered by this

I've run the diagnostics at the BIOS boot stage and also reinstalled the Dell Support assistant but no errors are found.

I don't have the option of raising a support ticket as I live in France and the support site automatically switches to the French site in French language without the option of communicating in English.

The operating system is Win 10 Home Premium 64 Bit Version 1803

Is there a kind soul out there who'll give me a clue what to try. 

In desperation and anticipation....

Bob

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 29th, 2018 15:00

Have you read this long thread on this exact topic?

15 Posts

May 30th, 2018 03:00

Thanks Ron but yes, I've worked through that and the suggestions but to no avail.

I've just discovered that Task Manager is showing that "Logical Processors" =1 whereas there should be 8.  When I run the diagnostics during boot up it shows and tests all 8 processors.

It gives me a clue as to where the issue lies.

Bob

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 30th, 2018 09:00

You did not specify what you actually did?

(1)
Uninstall both the Dell SupportAssist software Dell SupportAssist Agent software. If need be, they can reinstalled at a later date.
* Right-click the Start menu button and select Control Panel
* Under Programs, select Uninstall a program
* In the list of programs, locate and select Dell SupportAssist
* At the top of the window, select Uninstall
* When done, locate and select Dell SupportAssist Agent
* At the top of the window, select Uninstall
* When done, restart the PC
* Test the PC for boot time and performance speed

(2)
User mvsoske disabled their Acronis backup software "Acronis Active Protection Service" which fixed their issue. So if you have similar software, check its active services.
* If still slow, open the System Configuration Desktop app
* Click the Services tab
* Check, "Hide all Microsoft services"
* Click the button Disable all
* Click Apply
* Click OK
* Restart the PC

* Open the System Configuration Desktop app
* Click the Services tab
* Add a check to one item
* Click Apply
* Click OK
* Restart the PC

Do this for every service under the Services tab until you find the service that is causing the slow down.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 30th, 2018 11:00

In addition to what @DELL-Chris M suggested, have you looked at the Advanced Processor Configuration settings in BIOS setup since updating to A12?

Are these settings Enabled or Disabled?

• Hyperthreading
  • SpeedStep
  • Limit CPUID Value
  • Multi Core Support
  • Turbo Boost

My reading of the details about these settings in the Service Manual suggests you want all of them enabled.

15 Posts

May 30th, 2018 11:00

Thanks Chris.  I'd previously tried option 1 (from the ealier thread) but nothing changed.  I've now tried option 2 (although I don't have Acronis)......still no change.

A couple of possible clues;

If I select the CPU performance monitor graph in "Task Manager" and right click to see all logical processors, it's greyed out.

If I look in the System Config, Boot, Advanced Options, the "Number of Processors" tab is ticked but the only option in the drop down box is 1

Cheers

Bob

15 Posts

May 30th, 2018 15:00

Hi Ron,

Thanks for popping in.....

They were all enabled except Limit CPUID Value.  I enabled it but Windows wouldn't boot at all afterwards and it went into "Automatic Repair" which looks like a Dell utility from the font......still running.   It's midnight here so I need to fall off the forum and get some sleep......back tomorrow.

Thanks again guys....

Bob 

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 31st, 2018 06:00

For my notes, send me via Private Message the 8700 service tag number.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 1st, 2018 05:00

Please take a snapshot of the task manager showing us the CPU usage details.

15 Posts

June 1st, 2018 16:00

Chris,

Sorry but I saw this message after I'd been advised to do a clean install of Windows.   As per my previous post, it was only showing 1 logical processor running at 100%.  I've now done a clean install of Win 10 (I couldn't afford to any get further behind with my editing work) and previous performance levels are back.  It runs around 20-25% (processor perf') and shows 8 logical processors when running the tasks that I mentioned in the opening post.

I've still a bunch of s/w to download but the critical ones are functional again.

Make of it what you will but I see it that the BIOS update did something to Win 10....you knowledge is undoubtably far deeper and I'd still like to hear your hypothesis.

Thanks for your suggestions and interest in my troubles....

Bob (productive once more)

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 1st, 2018 16:00

@canon bob wrote:

Chris,

Sorry but I saw this message after I'd been advised to do a clean install of Windows.   As per my previous post, it was only showing 1 logical processor running at 100%.  I've now done a clean install of Win 10 (I couldn't afford to any get further behind with my editing work) and previous performance levels are back.  It runs around 20-25% (processor perf') and shows 8 logical processors when running the tasks that I mentioned in the opening post.

I've still a bunch of s/w to download but the critical ones are functional again.

Make of it what you will but I see it that the BIOS update did something to Win 10....you knowledge is undoubtably far deeper and I'd still like to hear your hypothesis.

Thanks for your suggestions and interest in my troubles....

Bob (productive once more)

Glad you got things resolved. :Yes:

Guess you can caulk this up as another of those "Mysteries from Redmond".

15 Posts

June 1st, 2018 18:00

Thanks Ron.....it's going to take somebody more clued up that me to determine why it went pearshaped.

Still, at the end of the day, I've lost about 25 hours and had to endure the usual chorus of people telling me that "I should have bought a Mac"

C'est la vie...

Bob

July 20th, 2018 08:00

Check your devices in Device Manager.  If the Intel Management Engine is listed, disable it.  This has no affect whatsoever on your system and in fact disabling the device doesn't really disable Intel AMT (Google it if you want to know what it does - it's a tool on the processor that allows very high level support to interrogate your system for issues).

I found that after the BIOS update the device was not running correctly, causing my bootup times to go from 5-10s to 5 minutes (or more).  Disabling the device fixed all my issues, including sluggish performance after the PC had booted up.

System :
Dell XPS 8700
Processor upgraded to i7 4790K (with Cooler Master Vortex Plus installed + Arctic MX-4 thermal paste)
Power Supply upgraded to EVGA 650 GQ, 80+ GOLD 650W, Semi Modular PSU
RAM upgraded to 16GB
Crucial MX300 525GB SSD + 1TB HD
GeForce GTX 1050 TI SC

No Events found!