Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 9th, 2018 10:00

XPS 8700, won't reach login screen

My XPS has been pretty solid in the last 3 years I've had it. It has an i7 4790 and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 745. Yesterday, I my XPS functioned just fine, and I put it to sleep when my day was done.

This morning, I woke up to the PC on a black screen. The monitor was on, and the power light white. I could move the mouse around, but the whole time, it shows the Windows 10 "busy" blue circle icon, not the usual pointer. I had to go to work and wasn't sure how long it had been like that, so I hard powered down the system.

Hours later, and I'm still having the same issue. I went to power the PC on, and after about 30 seconds, it was back to the same black screen with the busy icon. I tried unplugging the power source completely after that, and all USB devices other than the mouse and keyboard. This time, when I powered on, the screen displayed the typical Dell logo in a circle, with the white caterpillar going in a circle below it. This lasted about 10 seconds, then the Dell logo disappeared and only the caterpillar remained. Eventually, the caterpillar also disappeared and I was back to the black screen with the busy icon for the mouse. I can still use the mouse to move the busy icon around, but that's it.

I tried tapping F2 many times when I did have the Dell logo up, but nothing happened. I've been using the Backup and Restore tool with one of my external drives on this XPS for quite awhile, but can anyone help me with my issue?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 14th, 2018 10:00

You have to be fast  to press F12 when you power on or you miss the window of opportunity....

It sounds like things have improved, but I'd still run the HDD diags asap. You don't want to get everything reinstalled and running again, only to have the HDD have a fatal crash.

If the HDD passes the diags and everything gets reinstalled etc, you might want to make a backup image of the entire HDD on an external drive. That way, if the HDD does fail at some point, you'll have an image available to install quickly on a new drive. Keep in mind that you'll have to make new images from time to time to stay at least close to having a current backup. :Wink:

23 Posts

May 14th, 2018 12:00

You're right about being fast, and this time I did get F12 to register!

I ran the diagnostics test, which apparently checks everything. After a fairly quick test, I made sure to do the Thorough option as well. I didn't watch it go percent by percent, but when I came back to the PC over an hour later, it was done, and all tests passed!

I don't know how or why, but things literally improved right after changing that motherboard battery, even if it mainly forced me into the BIOS to set the date and time.

I thought I had been prepared for system failure before, and while I had my files safe and sound, losing the programs is a bummer, but only a temporary setback. I'll be sure to keep up with system restores and images in the future!

Thanks for all of your help!!

23 Posts

May 15th, 2018 14:00

I know, I know, this topic has already been solved. I just wanted to give one final update.

I looked around once more before truly committing to installing lots of programs on my reset PC, and to my surprise, I found where I kept my System Image file, and it was last updated on 5/7, two days before my whole system crashed.

I went on a whim, and tried restoring the image file. And, it worked! I'm ecstatic! The interesting thing is, the PC is now running slower, especially compared to how it ran with just a few programs after the reset. But, I now have all of my files AND programs back, which saves a lot of time!

I'm glad I set up Backup and Restore years ago, it came through this time!

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 15th, 2018 15:00

Glad the backup worked!

How much unnecessary junk is running in the background that might be slowing it down now?

Keep in mind that you installed an image that may have carried over issues caused by Windows updates on top of Windows updates, etc that slow things down vs the relatively clean version that was installed by the Reset.

23 Posts

May 16th, 2018 08:00

Looks like you beat me to it. I didn't work on my PC much yesterday after the image was restored, but I left it as I went to sleep to create a new image.

My luck, I come home from work, and it's doing the EXACT thing I wrote about one week ago in my first post. Stuck on a black screen with the blue circle. Makes sense I guess, since the image from 5/7 would have caught the bad stuff, too.

It's upsetting...I was so happy, now I'm not again. Obviously this time I had your steps to go by. I consider myself a master F12-masher now, but even so, I could not get that darn screen to come up just like the first time.

So, I popped open the enclosure, and went straight for the motherboard battery. I took it out and put it back in. When the PC booted, it took me to the BIOS settings so I could set the date. On the next restart, F12 finally registered, and I booted to my USB drive with Windows 10.

At this stage, I'm not sure what's easier to try. I could search for an earlier system image if one exists, or just reinstall the OS entirely since I know the HDD is alright. To pass the time, I found a system restore point that will take me back to yesterday afternoon. Even if it works, I know I'll soon be doomed again.

If I get back to the desktop as is following the restore, is there anything to look for? Something is definitely corrupted, so if there is no hope, I'll just reinstall a clean OS. I am on Version 1803, for now.

*UPDATE* The system restore just completed, and I'm back in business. For how long, who knows. What can I do while I have this running?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 16th, 2018 10:00

Geez...sorry to hear that... :Crying:

I wonder if the image you used worked until it was subsequently automatically updated by Windows Update and some update either isn't getting installed correctly or has one of Microsoft's recent bugs...?? In that case, earlier restore points might eventually get updated automatically and cause the problems all over again.

Guess you need to do a clean install with Win 10 build 1803. But at least all your files are backed up now and you've mastered the art of mashing F12, etc.

23 Posts

May 16th, 2018 10:00

I wish I knew...I'm writing this on my XPS right now, and everything is running smoothly. I assume that the next time it goes to sleep (most likely what happened last night) or shuts down, I'll be back in the same predicament.

For what it's worth, my friend in IT claims it's an MBR issue, which basically ruins the OS. In the short-term, I've just simply set up my XPS to never go to sleep. Obviously that won't be good for it in the long-term, but maybe it will give me more time to sort through some options.

Is there a way to revert to a previous Windows version, perhaps prior to 1803? If MBR is as bad as I'm told, I guess I have no option and will lose my programs. It's weird to be working on a computer that has a terminal issue!

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 16th, 2018 11:00

Are you still using MBR on the HDD rather than GPT? GPT is the preferred format for Win 10, and there's MBR2GPT.exe built into both the new 1803 and in the previous build of Win 10. Read this from Microsoft.

You can try disabling Hibernation, Hybrid Sleep, and USB Selective Suspend in your active Win 10 Power plan and let your PC go to sleep, but I can't  guarantee that will solve this problem. If nothing else, set the Power plan to turn off the monitor and HDD after "x" minutes.

Since the problem started before you had 1803, I don't know that reverting to something earlier than the Fall Update will help. Sooner or later MS is going to force the latest update on you.

If it were me, I'd wipe the hard drive, format it for GPT and do a clean install of 1803 and install all my apps. Yes, that's a royal pain in the...and a lot of time wasted, but consider how much time you've already put into this problem.

Only you can decide what's best for you... :Wink:

23 Posts

May 16th, 2018 23:00

Thanks for that link. I followed some of the steps in there, and my HDD is using GTP, so it looks like I'm caught up in that regard.

You're right about reverting...I want to be a forward-mover, not go back! I haven't tried those steps you listed below yet, but I will do so today and report back. For now, simply preventing the PC from going to sleep at all worked, and when I woke up, it was waiting on the login screen.

I know I've had most things backed up for a while now, but I like to have files organized too...and just having my functioning desktop for most of the last 2 days has helped me get everything completely in sync between my PC and external drives.

So, if the PC won't wake up from sleep after trying those steps, then I'll just do a clean install of the OS, just to keep me at peace.

23 Posts

May 18th, 2018 14:00

I didn't get a chance to try those steps yet, but today I basically forced to try something. While I was at work, the power went out for longer than my UPS backup could sustain the PC to stay on. When I get home, it was off.

However, to my surprise, I powered it on and pushed no keys, and though it took a bit longer than expected, it went to the login screen with no issue!

I then tried putting the PC to sleep and waking it back up, as I would typically do. And once again, it is back up and running!

I have no idea what happened, but I'll take it for now. I'm glad I didn't just reinstall windows without at least trying to shut it down and put it to sleep, and a power outage forced it of all things.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 18th, 2018 16:00

Figured you needed a nudge, so I turned your power off...  :Stickouttongue: :BigSmile:

Glad it seems to be working properly again. :Yes:

No Events found!