Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

3 Posts

July 24th, 2022 19:00

XPS 8900, 750ti SC, no booting into Windows

I have a XPS 8900 with an i5-6400, 8gb of ram, 460w psu, and hopefully an Evga 750ti SC(02G-P4-3759-KB). Long story short I have this old computer and wanted to do some old school gaming on it, so I bought a 750ti. I thought it would be plug and play or at least plug and download some drivers, that hasn't been the case. I've done a variety of things, but the main issue is, I can not get it to boot into Windows when the graphics card is plugged in. 

I've been on here and reddit and haven't really found any answers. I've reinstalled windows 2 or 3 times, updated to the most current or close to most current graphics drivers, installed the intel drivers first and then the nvidia drivers, rolled back one of the intel drivers (can't remember the name, but it was an intel driver that had something to do with really my ssd and that booting faster than the graphics card), removed drivers with ddu, etc. The only thing that has made a difference is enabling a legacy boot in the bios, and turning off secure boot. If those 2 things have not been changed, then my computer can't make it past the initial splash screen. Currently, it will make it to the second splash screen where the dots spin in a circle, but then freezes. That's if I'm using the integrated graphics. If I use the card, then I don't see anything. If I boot into safe mode, I can see the card in device manage as a 750ti. Does anyone have any ideas of what could be going on?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

July 24th, 2022 21:00

Version of Windows?

You can't use the integrated Intel Graphics when there's an add-in video card installed. So that may be why it stalls when monitor is connected to integrated Graphics.

Did you try installing the add-in card, and then clearing BIOS by removing the motherboard battery and pressing/holding power button for ~30 sec before reinstalling the battery (probably time for a fresh battery).

Then reboot and tap F2 to open BIOS setup and enable Legacy and disable Secure Boot again. (They will have gotten reset to their defaults when you cleared BIOS.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 24th, 2022 22:00

@N3rdmazing 

Non DELL Oem video cards will REQUIRE Secure Boot OFF.

One of the characteristics of a FAKE GPU is crashing when loading drivers.

These are known issues since 2012.  There may also be bios updates required before it works.  You did not say what you have.

July 26th, 2022 12:00

My mistake for not being clear. I do have secure boot turned off, and the option to enable legacy roms turned on. My current bios version is 2.9.1, which is the most update to date version from dell. From another comment, I did replace the cmos battery, which I think stopped it from freezing. However, I still don't have video.

July 26th, 2022 12:00

My bad for not including that. I'm on Windows 10 home (20H2).

I did pick up a new battery and tried what you suggested. The bios didn't reset, so I checked the manual to see what it said. That told me to remove the jumper plug, but that didn't reset it either. Regardless, it seems like something changed with a new battery. I still don't have video, but it seems like its not freezing when its trying to load windows. 

Also, I wasn't necessarily trying to use both the onboard graphics and the graphics card. I meant to say that I was trying to see if I could be video from either HDMI port.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

July 26th, 2022 18:00

It's easier to remove the motherboard battery and press/hold the power button for ~30 sec than mess around with that teeny, time motherboard jumper, and be sure it's put back on the right pins.

You can't use any onboard video ports as long as the add-in video card is installed on the motherboard, even if you're not connecting a monitor to the add-in video card. Just the presence of the card in the slot disables the onboard video ports.

Remove both the add-in card and the motherboard battery. Then press/hold power button for ~30 sec. Reinstall the battery only, not the add-in video card, and then see if you get video from the onboard HDMI port. You probably will have to set date/time in BIOS after removing the battery, so be sure to do that too when you boot up for first time after removing/reinstalling the battery.

Are you sure this monitor actually works?  Are you sure the video cable is good? Can you test this monitor and this HDMI cable on another PC, or test a different monitor and different HDMI cable on this PC?

Are you sure this monitor is set up to use HDMI? Some monitors are dumb and don't automatically configure themselves to use whatever video signal is being supplied by the PC. If the monitor has its own On-Screen Display (OSD) that's opened by pressing a button(s) on the monitor itself, open the OSD and make sure it's set to use HDMI. If it's set "Auto", change it HDMI.

If you can't get video from the onboard HDMI port (with add-in video card removed), there's something wrong the PC. What color is PC's power button when there's not video? And is it steady or blinking?

No Events found!