Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

January 11th, 2018 16:00

XPS 8900, BIOS 2.2.1

Dell has a list of BIOS updates (and dates they expect to be releasing BIOS updates) here. These updates are to counter Intel's Meltdown and Spectre problem. I have an  XPS 8900, and there's a new BIOS for it listed there, version 2.2.1. I've updated BIOS before and never had a problem. 'm not sure if I should update to 2.2.1, though, partly because of the message here. The poster had an XPS 8900 that was "rendered unusable" by the new BIOS. The last message written there, by RoHe, says partly "So even if you get an update from Dell for Spectre and Meltdown, you will still need a BIOS update from Dell for the ME issue, but if it were me, I'd hold off on flashing BIOS 2.2.1, at least for now".

Has anyone with an XPS 8900 updated their BIOS to version 2.2.1? If you did, was it a smooth update, or did you have problems?

2 Posts

January 14th, 2018 08:00

I am having an nightmare after upgrading the BIOS to 2.2.1 in my XPS 8900. What Dell is doing to us is a travesty, I call them to request a full refund or a motherboard replacement and this was their response:

Respond to Complaint

Thank you for providing a copy of the customer’s submission. Mr. XXXXX expressed dissatisfaction with Dell service and support and wants a refund or an on-site technician to replace his motherboard due to a BIOS update. We regret any dissatisfaction he may have experienced and appreciate the feedback provided. Dell has a thirty (30) day return period and, as the order invoiced during 2016, a return for a refund would not be an option. Since the date of the submission, a Dell representative contacted Mr. XXXXX to discuss his concerns. The representative verified with an internal Dell team that there were no known issues with Mr. XXXXXX computer and that a BIOS update cannot be the cause for a motherboard failure. As Mr. XXXXX one year warranty expired five months ago, our representative offered support via Dell’s fee-based Out of Warranty Repairs representatives which Mr. XXXXXX declined. We ask that he contact our representative should there be any further questions regarding this matter. 

Dell destroys our computers and now they want us to paid for support? This is a travesty.

January 15th, 2018 08:00

"The representative verified with an internal Dell team that there were no known issues with Mr. XXXXXX computer and that a BIOS update cannot be the cause for a motherboard failure."

That statement is indeed incorrect.  BIOS updates can and are very much a cause of a motherboard failure.  I would continue to purse this issue further with a higher tiered Dell representative.  Because if the Dell supplied BIOS update did brick your system they do owe you new motherboard. this.>   A word of caution is never apply any BIOS update unless it is necessary and only after the BIOS update has been out for at least 30 days.  That way any issues that arise from the updates will be sorted out.  Never ever grab the latest BIOS or any other sort of updates when they are first issued as a precautionary step wait at least a minimum of 2-3 weeks.

64 Posts

January 15th, 2018 10:00

@GamerdudeForever wrote:

A word of caution is never apply any BIOS update unless it is necessary and only after the BIOS update has been out for at least 30 days.  That way any issues that arise from the updates will be sorted out.  Never ever grab the latest BIOS or any other sort of updates when they are first issued as a precautionary step wait at least a minimum of 2-3 weeks.

On the drivers & downloads page for XPS 8900, the 2.2.1 BIOS update is listed as being "Urgent". Release date is Dec. 22, 2017. After reading this message a couple weeks ago, I decided to wait awhile before installing the new BIOS. I'm glad I did. I wonder how many people installed this "urgent" BIOS and it killed their computer...

January 22nd, 2018 08:00

As I was working on my XPS8900 (Win 10) Saturday morning, I got a Dell message about an urgent BIOS update.  Of course, that update left my system unbootable.  I'm shocked this morning to learn that this problem has been known for a month, and yet I was still prompted to update my system with this unstable update.  After two days of diagnosing the problem here is what I have found:

Removing the CMOS battery and plugging the system back in causes it to try to boot.  After starting and stopping on its own 4 times, on the 5th try the keyboard is recognized and the BIOS screen comes up.  It will start and stop itself two more times then boot into Win 10, where everything seems to work normally except that it won't recognize my PIN.  When I do a shutdown, it closes Windows but the machine doesn't power down.  If I do a hard shutdown the power goes off, then comes back on its own.  So far I can get back in as long as I disconnect the power, remove the battery, re-connect the power, and wait through the 7 reboot attempts.

Frustrating!

January 22nd, 2018 09:00

Latest Update:  The system is now completely dead.  It won't power up at all.  Loading 2.2.1 crippled the machine immediately .  Two days later it is dead.

January 22nd, 2018 12:00

And the latest:  Since yesterday Dell has pulled the 2.2.1 update from the support page.  Now the latest BIOS is listed as 2.1.10 dated August 2017.  For the sake of others I'm glad they did this, but I'm still left with a dead computer.

January 23rd, 2018 16:00

I must be one of the lucky ones.  I installed BIOS 2.2.1 on two XPS 8900s a few days ago and both are functioning normally.

1 Message

January 27th, 2018 03:00

I was running fine with 2.2.1
But when I got this "URGENT" notice to change to 2.1.10, and followed through with it.
All I get when I boot is the Blue Screen of Death with a Stop Code of INACCESSABLE BOOT DEVICE.

29 Posts

January 27th, 2018 06:00

Did Dell finally agree to replace the motherboard for free? I am fighting the same issue with them after proving they did indeed have issues with the XPS8900 and their BIOS update prior to sending me the "URGENT" message to update.

Bob

6 Posts

January 27th, 2018 07:00

I saw the urgent BIOS upgrade this morning which would take me from BIOS 2.2.1 back to 2.1.10.  I haven't noticed any problem from 2.2.1 so thinking I should stay with what I have and wait to see what the next release brings.  Other thoughts on what to do here?

1 Message

January 28th, 2018 12:00

I too installed 2.2.1 and have not had any issues. I've decided that I will just keep the machine on 2.2.1 until something newer is released and from now on wait a month or so before installing. 

64 Posts

January 28th, 2018 16:00

I've also updated to 2.2.1 and haven't had any problems. If you look here, part of what Dell says is:

If you have already applied the BIOS update, please wait for further information and an updated BIOS release, no other action is recommended at this point. Please continue to check back for updates.

Since I'm not having any problems, I'm going to leave it installed until Dell has more information about what to do. It's possible that trying to go back might screw things up... Dell will probably (hopefully?) have another BIOS update soon and then I'll be able to update to that one.

29 Posts

January 29th, 2018 15:00

I am currently working with Dell to get mine repaired, pointed out the bios issue which caused it and yes, I got the same response you did. I sent a letter to Dell corporate who called but gave me the same response, since, I have pointed him to their own web site and ALL the other BIOS 2.2.1 update crashes. Waiting for them to get my unit and then their response.

Bob

January 29th, 2018 20:00

I too have had no issues with v2.2.1 on my Windows 10 Pro XPS8900, and SupportAssist also wanted to install a downgrade to v2.1.10.

It appears as if they're going out of their way to brick computers. If 2.2.1 didn't brick it........ here, try this bios downgrade that should do it for sure!

My trust in Dell's ability to deliver updates is gone.

Dell should change the name to SupportDesist as it's became too dangerous to leave it installed.

2 Posts

February 1st, 2018 13:00

I tried reaching out to their corporate office and their support team via BBB, they came back with the same answer " We didn't put a  in your head for you to download the bios update"..I asked them if they realized the impact of the 2.2.1 and the amount of customers affected. They continue to be in denial telling me that I am the only customer reporting the issue. What is interesting here is they pulled the bios update from the website, fortunately I have a copy with the HASH signature. Perhaps, this will serve as good evidence in a   against this incompetent organization. Luckily for me, I own a Mac book book that works and have better support than Dell. RIP Dell Computers.

No Events found!