tanman01
1 Copper

Re: XPS 8900, BIOS 2.2.1

I saw the urgent BIOS upgrade this morning which would take me from BIOS 2.2.1 back to 2.1.10.  I haven't noticed any problem from 2.2.1 so thinking I should stay with what I have and wait to see what the next release brings.  Other thoughts on what to do here?

0 Kudos
DesertEric
1 Copper

I too installed 2.2.1 and have not had any issues. I've decided that I will just keep the machine on 2.2.1 until something newer is released and from now on wait a month or so before installing. 

0 Kudos
Mikey777
3 Argentium

I've also updated to 2.2.1 and haven't had any problems. If you look here, part of what Dell says is:

If you have already applied the BIOS update, please wait for further information and an updated BIOS release, no other action is recommended at this point. Please continue to check back for updates.

Since I'm not having any problems, I'm going to leave it installed until Dell has more information about what to do. It's possible that trying to go back might screw things up... Dell will probably (hopefully?) have another BIOS update soon and then I'll be able to update to that one.

0 Kudos
bselff
1 Copper

Re: BIOS 2.2.1 for XPS 8900

I am currently working with Dell to get mine repaired, pointed out the bios issue which caused it and yes, I got the same response you did. I sent a letter to Dell corporate who called but gave me the same response, since, I have pointed him to their own web site and ALL the other BIOS 2.2.1 update crashes. Waiting for them to get my unit and then their response.

Bob

0 Kudos
FrankAPhonic
2 Bronze

I too have had no issues with v2.2.1 on my Windows 10 Pro XPS8900, and SupportAssist also wanted to install a downgrade to v2.1.10.

It appears as if they're going out of their way to brick computers. If 2.2.1 didn't brick it........ here, try this bios downgrade that should do it for sure!

My trust in Dell's ability to deliver updates is gone.

Dell should change the name to SupportDesist as it's became too dangerous to leave it installed.

0 Kudos
lgrullon
1 Copper

I tried reaching out to their corporate office and their support team via BBB, they came back with the same answer " We didn't put a <deleted> in your head for you to download the bios update"..I asked them if they realized the impact of the 2.2.1 and the amount of customers affected. They continue to be in denial telling me that I am the only customer reporting the issue. What is interesting here is they pulled the bios update from the website, fortunately I have a copy with the HASH signature. Perhaps, this will serve as good evidence in a <deleted> against this incompetent organization. Luckily for me, I own a Mac book book that works and have better support than Dell. RIP Dell Computers.

0 Kudos
Skybirth
1 Copper

Dell updated Bios 2.2.1 Feb 6th. Having been caught by the initial fiasco and having my XPS8900 bricked I felt I had nothing to lose by applying this latest attempt at reversing the previous failures on Dell and Intels part. 

After applying this Feb updated Bios my computer is still bricked. I’ll now reinstate my old HP Destop that this XPS replaced and rebuild my digital world again. 

My warranty of course ran out a couple of months earlier and from other posts I see Dell is trying to wash their hands of this for those unfortunate to be out of warranty, shameful but predictable, share holders first.

Well, got to go and get my trusty old HP up and running. Had that one for so many years without a problem. I’ll go look for a replacement for this DELL brick and most likely another HP, good luck everyone.

here are the details of the Feb 2.2.1 update; 

Dell XPS 8900 System BIOS

This package provides the Dell System BIOS update and is supported on Dell XPS 8900 for Windows and DOS Operating Systems.

Fixes & Enhancements
Fixes:
- Update to the latest CPU Microcode to address CVE-2017-5715.
- Updated Intel ME Firmware to address security advisories INTEL-SA-00086 (CVE-2017-5705, CVE-2017-5708, CVE-2017-5711 & CVE-2017-5712) & INTEL-SA-00101(CVE-2017-13077, CVE-2017-13078 & CVE-2017-13080).
- Updated the handling of pre-boot authentication information by firmware.
- Updated UEFI variable input validation.
- Updated the handling of 3rd party Option ROM loading.
- Updated SPI flash command configuration settings.

Enhancements:
- N/A.
Version
Version 2.2.1, 2.2.1
Category
BIOS
Release date
06 Feb 2018
Last Updated
06 Feb 2018
Importance

Urgent

0 Kudos
Vic384
4 Tellurium

It seems I am missing something. How do you apply a BIOS update to a computer that is bricked? Was the motherboard replaced and now it is bricked again? A bricked computer usually means it will not even power on or enter the BIOS setup much less apply a BIOS update.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Skybirth
1 Copper

Sorry for the confusion.

No, the motherboard has not been replaced. I guess it’s not completely dead. It’ll boot to the desktop but will take an hour or so. If I click on anything I walk away and come back later. It functions but of no use, it is extremely slow but yet working. It doesn’t crash, just takes forever to do anything. I guess it’s a boat anchor.

I’m transferring my files from the c drive at the moment, it’s been working all day and I’ve left it running overnight. Hopefully I’ll save what’s on the drive and then reformat it and start a fresh windows install. Nothing to lose I guess.

until the update a couple of weeks back the computer was running fine, since the update in January it has been of no use whatsoever, so, a brick, an anchor a door stop,

0 Kudos
Vic384
4 Tellurium

Your problem may have coincided with the BIOS update but not caused by it. There are other possibilities including a failing hard drive. I would do as you plan reformat, re-install Windows, and test the hard drive or you may wish to run a bootable hard drive test program first before doing the Windows install.

0 Kudos