Techgee
3 Zinc

Re: XPS8900: Bios setting: Raid vs AHCI

Oh, the OP's link to how to switch from RAID to AHCI is broken - updated link here.  This is actually the same method I personally use to switch.

0 Kudos
leftblank
1 Copper

Thanks to Ron (RoHe) I was able to adjust the formatting to make my mumbling slightly more coherent.

This is the more recent of related topics so I will try this thread first. My XPS 8900 came with the 1 TB HDD only with BIOS set to RAID and BIOS has been updated to 2.5.

Amazon sent me a little baby (capacity wise) M + B Keyed M.2 2242 SSD (obviously this is NVMe). This can only be used via an adapter as the crippled M.2 slot is 2280 only although I did verify that the 2242 was working by temporarily leaving it in the slot uninitialized so it was not secured and jutting out at a 30 degree angle or so.

I have an adapter which goes into a PCI-e slot from where it draws power but have to connect the output to one of the SATA6 ports for data transfer which limits me to X2. I tried both the X4 sized and X16 sized PCI-e ports (both wired X4 according to both Dell and other users) and all open SATA ports but the system does not recognize that the SSD is connected. The adapter card has an LED which demonstrates that power is available and I have also switched SATA cables just in case.

BIOS allowed me to change the SATA configuration to ACHI but the system would not boot and reverting back to RAID required two attempts to boot but the system is operating again.

I read threads that suggested switching the BIOS setting from RAID to ACHI in safe mode. I did not try that (yet) because the BIOS change to ACHI was accepted and it appeared from that thread that this was a way to force BIOS to allow ACHI (some responders specifically mentioned that they only had two options which did not include ACHI) but was not what I encountered. For example, https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/AHCI-disabled-on-XPS-8900-desktop/td-p/467....

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions concerning trying to get the system to recognize the SSD connected via SATA through the PCI-e adapter? The adapter is working.

From the same source I also have a small 2280 M.2 M + B SSD that I plan to use in the crippled M.2 slot so would have two small NVMe SSD going. I was told that supergluing the two NVMe drives together using the 2280 to anchor the arrangement probably would not have the desired effect.

Thank You

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

@leftblank  - You probably used IE11 to make your posts, which -unfortunately- isn't fully supported by the forum software platform used here. Suggest you switch to a different browser so you can properly format your posts on this forum.

Edge, Firefox and Chrome work with this platform. And to edit your post, log in and click the 3 vertical dots on the right side above the title line of your post that you want to edit, and select Edit from the drop-down menu. Those 3 vertical dots don't show up when IE11 is used, and as you found out, paragraph formatting doesn't work either... :Confused:

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

leftblank
1 Copper

@RoHe:  Thank You Ron.  I will try to remember this in the future.  Also confusing is that IE11 worked properly six days earlier for me in other posts in these forums but changes are sometimes made.  This might also explain why clicking the Kudo button wouldn't work last weekend.

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Re: XPS 8900, BIOS setting, Raid vs AHCI

AHCI uses the generic windows driver.

RAID uses the Intel RST F6 driver.

Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-F6-Driver_8X2Y1_WIN64_16.7.1.1012_A01_01.EXE

The F6 installation method requires you to install a RST mass storage driver during Windows* setup. Windows will complain about not finding any drives to install on.

If you are using USB Flash drive as install media it must be USB 2.0.  USB 3.0 media will have issues.

The way to avoid this and work with all dells and all versions of windows is to use USB 2.0 optical Drive and OEM system Builder windows 10 DVD.

You then turn Secure boot OFF and CSM on and F12 boot from the DVD as though its a USB 2.0 flash drive.

There is a VERY SPECIFIC model I recommend for 2 reasons.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-8x-external-usb-2-0-blu-ray-disc-double-layer-dvdrw-cd-rw-disc-rewri...

First being its USB 2.0

Second Being it comes with Cyberlink Power DVD software that works with windows 10.

Third this setup works on ALL DELLS ALL MODELS from 2006 to made in feb 2019 models.

This disk works for Home or Pro and can be legally used on all systems to reinstall windows.

https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-windows-10-home-64-bit-installation-recovery-disc-only-no-license-k...

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=8x2y1

DRIVERCD.jpgA required CD.DVD drive Device Driver is missing.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

leftblank
1 Copper

@speedstep

Thank You Speedstep. 

I will have to look into the 16.7.1.1012 version that you linked but noted that the XPS 8900 is not listed as a compatible system although the XPS 8930 is listed and those should be close enough to ensure compatibility (currently have the 15.7.5.1025 Rapid Store Technology driver installed).  Although Dell seems to keep the Drivers and Downloads up to date even for older systems they simply may not have gotten around to this.

Thank You for the help and sage counsel and advice.

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) Version 16.7.1.1012 is the WHQL release version.

Systems running driver version 15.9.x, 16.0.x, 16.5.x, or 16.7.x should update to the latest version.

Version: 17.2.0.1009 (Latest) Date: 3/15/2019

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28650/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interf...

Older versions

Intel 100 Series/C230 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller
Intel 200 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller
Intel 300 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller
Intel 6th Generation Core Processor Family Platform I/O SATA AHCI Controller
Intel 82801HEM SATA RAID Controller
Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller
Intel Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller
Intel ICH8R/DO/DH SATA RAID Controller

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

7- Thorium

@leftblank wrote:

@RoHe:  Thank You Ron.  I will try to remember this in the future.  Also confusing is that IE11 worked properly six days earlier for me in other posts in these forums but changes are sometimes made.  This might also explain why clicking the Kudo button wouldn't work last weekend.

Yup...they did a forum platform software update...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

leftblank
1 Copper

@speedstep wrote:

Thank You for the information.

Before going any further with that SSD I first have to find a way to recover from poor judgment by running Parted Magic from Ultimate Boot CD (this is the last free version of Parted Magic).  Parted Magic completely and fatally froze when launching after going through several pages of commands too quick to read and then completely locked up at “setting up system devices.”  Last command that I saw executed was to lock a specific kernel. Since then I am unable to boot from DVD/CD including newly created discs and the original OS disc from Dell.  Everything otherwise works and has passed various diagnostics and checks including flashing BIOS again but something apparently remains locked to prevent booting from CD/DVD.  Had even restored a system image just in case.

Thank You

0 Kudos