Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

6 Posts

May 20th, 2018 05:00

XPS 8900, Error after bios update, inaccessible boot system

Ran the bios update from the Dell utility.   Blue Screens with stop code: System Pte misuse.   Tried booting from a USB Window 10 Recovery.   2 Blue Screen Errors Inaccessible boot system  and System Pte misuse.   Tried 2 different versions of Bios.   No change.   Dead.   

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 20th, 2018 16:00

What version of BIOS was running and what version did you try installing?

You can try resetting BIOS:

1. Reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup, if you can. Otherwise skip to #3
  2. Copy down all current BIOS settings
  3. Power off, unplug
  4. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  5. Open case and remove motherboard battery (check Service Manual for details)
  6. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  7. Reinstall the battery (time for a fresh CR2032 3-volt coin cell battery?)
  8. Close up and connect mouse, monitor and keyboard
  9. Reboot

If that doesn't help, read this.

6 Posts

May 21st, 2018 03:00

I installed 2.1.10 went back to 2.1.8 then installed a00.   The machine will boot into Bios with no problem. However I can't even boot to a Windows 10 recovery stick without getting the blue screen errors mentioned.   What do you suggest?   

Other versions Release Date

2.1.10 02 Aug 2017
2.1.8 24 Feb 2017
2.1.3 05 Feb 2016
2.1.0 03 Feb 2016
2.0.3 02 Oct 2015
2.0.2 22 Sep 2015
A00 14 Sep 2015

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 21st, 2018 10:00

And if your system was shipped after Dec, 2015, you should read this too.

6 Posts

May 24th, 2018 03:00

Thanks for your response. . .  pulled the battery.  Same issue . . .  blue screen. . . same codes.  

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 24th, 2018 10:00

And one more question:

Do you have a small (32-GB) SSD in this PC that's used as a cache for Win 10, or some other RAID setup with two hard drives?

If you do, reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup. Make sure SATA Mode is set to RAID, and not to something else. Don't change any other BIOS settings, but save the change to SATA Mode, if any, before exiting BIOS setup.

See if that helps.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 24th, 2018 10:00

Is your USB stick with Win 10 on it bootable?

Try booting from the stick again, now that you've reset BIOS. Power PC off and connect the stick to a USB2 port on the PC. Then power on and immediately  press F12. Assuming you get to the F12 menu, look for the option to boot from USB.

If it still won't boot from USB, go to the F12 menu again and look for the option to run the diagnostics, including RAM and extended hard drive tests. Be patient, the extended tests can take a long time, depending on size of hard drive. Copy down error messages, if any...

6 Posts

May 28th, 2018 02:00

Thanks again for your response.   So. . . booting from the hard drive or the usb stick. . .  the system starts to boot . . .you see the Windows rotating startup circle. . . or from the hard drive it does an attempting a repair.   It is getting to the devices.  Then after 15 20 seconds it blue screens.  

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 28th, 2018 19:00

You should stop running BIOS updates. If you saw the Windows wheel spinning at some point that means it has completed the POST and the problem is not with BIOS.

Exactly which bug check code do you get for System Pte misuse? Have you disconnected everything except mouse, monitor and keyboard? What happens if you disconnect the hard drive from it the power supply and from the motherboard? Can you boot from some other bootable DVD? Or can you re-create the bootable USB you made in case it's faulty?

You didn't respond to my questions about having a 32-GB SSD cache or other RAID setup or how is SATA Mode set in BIOS setup? Is BIOS set to UEFI boot or Legacy?

Reboot and immediately press F12. Look for option to run diagnostics and run all of them including the RAM and extended hard drive tests. Copy error messages, if any.

And remove all RAM modules except the one in slot 1, which may not be the one closest to the CPU.

Edited

6 Posts

May 30th, 2018 18:00

Thanks for your response . . . no 32-GB or Raid . . .SATA  Legacy mode.  I will run the diagnostics.  Thanks 

2 Posts

July 4th, 2018 11:00

My XPS 8900 is also dead. Startet with the latest BIOS version.

Windows 10 will not start - very shortly after the wheel starts it crashes with System PTE missuse .

Tried complete reinstall. BIOS flush, BIOS downgrade. Have even bought another BIOS, which worked until BIOS was updated by accident.

2 Posts

July 4th, 2018 11:00

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 4th, 2018 15:00

@lap17 wrote:

My XPS 8900 is also dead. Startet with the latest BIOS version.

Windows 10 will not start - very shortly after the wheel starts it crashes with System PTE missuse .

Tried complete reinstall. BIOS flush, BIOS downgrade. Have even bought another BIOS, which worked until BIOS was updated by accident.

Did you try any of the things I suggested to @mag48 in this thread?

What do you mean you "bought another BIOS"? Did you have somebody replace that CMOS chip on the motherboard?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 5th, 2018 05:00

You cant Run ATA SATA you have to run AHCI OR RAID AUTO OR IRRT

3 Posts

July 6th, 2018 12:00

This is happening to me right now. **bleep**, i did not want to be dealing with this today. The machine (xps 8900) has been great otherwise. Same story, restart after update. Bam, System PTE missuse. Reinstall windows, same. Reset bios, same. Opened a ticket with Dell. Any known fix?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 6th, 2018 15:00

@roomjosh wrote:

This is happening to me right now. **bleep**, i did not want to be dealing with this today. The machine (xps 8900) has been great otherwise. Same story, restart after update. Bam, System PTE missuse. Reinstall windows, same. Reset bios, same. Opened a ticket with Dell. Any known fix?

I pinged my Dell tech contacts about this earlier today (Fri), so lets give them a chance to investigate and come up with a solution.

If you were able to reinstall Win 10, as you stated, the PC is completing the POST (Power On Self-Test) so that means the BIOS flash update process itself may not at fault, but it might mean there's an error in the BIOS code that got updated which is triggering this error.

No Events found!